Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Inconsistent "Retrieving" message

Hello -

I'm working on a new grid screen in my channel. While testing I noticed that the "Retrieving" message does not always appear, sometimes the screen just stays blank until content loads, other times "Retrieving" appears for the few seconds before content loads. I'm trying to figure out what's triggering this inconsistency but I have no clue at this point, the same exact selection will produce different results two times in a row. Any ideas?
tyvmia
aspiring
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Inconsistent "Retrieving" message

I'm not sure what causes the behavior you're seeing, and I'm not sure if it helps, but you can force the "Retrieving..." text by calling screen.ShowMessage("Retrieving...") while you're loading the content. You can also, of course, replace that with whatever text you want.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Inconsistent "Retrieving" message

Thank you TheEndless!
that works perfectly. Now I see "Retrieving..." 100% of the time while it's loading the grid content.
aspiring
0 Kudos