Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSGreg
Visitor

In-channel purchase vs. separate channels

I notice that the in-channel purchasing is available only for firmware 4.3 and later.
What is the market share of 4.3 and later vs. prior versions?

In version prior to 4.3, can I guide a user to a particular channel in the channel store?

I think I want to offer a channel with a free version with some way to go to the channel store on the Roku, to pay for the upgraded version.

Or should I just have two completely different channels? A free version and a paid version with different vanity codes and no link between the two?

I'll look through the downloaded code in this roChannelStore thread next. This may answer the next few questions:

What is the code pattern for implementing an in-channel upgrade? Is that different than "purchase a channel" pattern?

How can Brightscript code determine whether the upgrade has been purchased?

I've read through the Developer Guide on In-Channel purchasing and it's still not clear what my options are and how to implement them.

I've also reviewed the roChannelStore documentation, but it doesn't let me access the interfaces or events without logging in. If I have to log in, what account do I use?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: In-channel purchase vs. separate channels

For 3.1 firmware (Roku 1s), you can direct a user to the paid version of the channel in the channel store via ECP. Here's an example: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=45580&p=337690#p337737
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Re: In-channel purchase vs. separate channels

Nice! The approach, then, is to create two separate channels: a "lite" or "free" one and a fully paid version? Is that right?

Is it correct that there are otherwise no "upgrades" available to boxes before 4.3 aside from installing another channel?

I guess I could have two apps, a "lite" one that offers an in-channel upgrade to boxes 4.3 and after, and then a separate channel that has the features enabled for those boxes prior to 4.3.

How do I prevent users from installing the "full featured" channel without paying? Is it a public channel or a private channel? How do I enable a fee for that channel?

I feel like there's a key document I failed to read. Which one is it 🙂

What design approach works best for developers/users? Are there any other design approaches to consider?

Seems like it's easiest at this point to in-channel purchasing, then add it later when there are worthwhile features.
If I do that, can I convert people on post-4.3 boxes from the "fully-enabled" version to the "in-channel" purchase version so I can maintain only one version eventually? Related question: is it possible to give away the fully-enabled version for free?

In the Channel and Publishing Guide, it says:
Channel packages are initially uploaded to the Channel Store as unpublished channel versions. Developers can do beta-testing by accessing these unpublished packages via Roku assigned channel codes.

How does this interact with a paid channel? (i.e. do beta testers pay? can the beta test period be eliminated by the developer?)

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Vanity codes and paid vs. free demo

Thanks! Now I can launch the channel store though I'm still not sure how to get the ContentID/plugin_id of a channel, but maybe that will be clear when I publish a channel?

If I have two separate channels, and one is a paid and one is a demo, what is the best strategy for vanity codes?
Should I make the well known map code the paid version or the free version? Or should I tack "free" on the end of the vanity code for the free one?
Or should I just leave one of them as a random code? If so, which one?
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

Re: Vanity codes and paid vs. free demo

"MSGreg" wrote:
Thanks! Now I can launch the channel store though I'm still not sure how to get the ContentID/plugin_id of a channel, but maybe that will be clear when I publish a channel?

If I have two separate channels, and one is a paid and one is a demo, what is the best strategy for vanity codes?
Should I make the well known map code the paid version or the free version? Or should I tack "free" on the end of the vanity code for the free one?
Or should I just leave one of them as a random code? If so, which one?

The ID is easily obtainable from the list of installed channels on the Roku. Once you publish and install the published channel, you can get the id at http://YourLocalRokuAddress:8060/query/apps

I'm afraid I can't suggest a good strategy for the vanity codes, but my preference would be well-known code for Paid version, and the same code with "Free" appended for the free one. My understanding is that if users add the paid channel via the vanity code, they will still be prompted to agree to payment on the Roku before the channel will be installed.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Vanity codes and paid vs. free demo

"gonzotek" wrote:
The ID is easily obtainable from the list of installed channels on the Roku. Once you publish and install the published channel, you can get the id at http://YourLocalRokuAddress:8060/query/apps

You can also get it from the "Manage My Channels" page. The App ID is the number at the end of the URL when you select a channel.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos