Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Level 9

Re: Is developer.roku.com officially dead?

"RokuJoel" wrote:
At what URL are the country names missing?

"Details" tab, like per above photo. There might be others but i suspect fixing this will fix the rest.

Here, I took new screenshots just in case:
[spoiler=owner.roku.com:xj2lzzgm][/spoiler:xj2lzzgm] [spoiler=developer.roku.com:xj2lzzgm][/spoiler:xj2lzzgm]
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Is developer.roku.com officially dead?

Ah, ok. I'll let the web team know. Now let's please let this ancient thread become officially dead!

Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

Re: Is developer.roku.com officially dead?

Ahem... it's not "ancient", it's from November, <6mo old.

And developer.roku.com is still not production-ready somehow - after a whopping year of being introduced (cue: sales and transaction reports are much, MUCH worse than owner.developer.com's - practically useless when having lots of installs). Whose fault is it somebody could not get their cascading-style sheets together for a whole year? Don't shoot the messenger, please... tempting as it may be.

PS. i thought maybe i am too harsh to the "new" site. Maybe i was unfair. Maybe it got fixed. So i went tonight and tried to use it in good faith for a simple beta channel update, just went through all pages. But lo and behold, it still does not work:

What fresh heel is this? It's like a bug "turducken":
  1. it seems to not like a perfectly valid description (see same exact text, correctly rendered and everything at the public https://channelstore.roku.com/details/75560 )

  2. Diagnostic text makes no sense - why is it talking about "keywords" at the "web description" box

  3. And of course it won't let me save, insisting i should fix this that ain't broken - yet can't tell me why
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Is developer.roku.com officially dead?

I want to kill this thread because the title may be confusing to new developers coming to this forum for the first time. I'm going to attempt to rename it "Improving the developer.roku.com site".

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

Re: Is developer.roku.com officially dead?

"RokuJoel" wrote:
I want to kill this thread because the title may be confusing to new developers coming to this forum for the first time. I'm going to attempt to rename it "Improving the developer.roku.com site".

You have a good point there, "dead" in the name might be scary, although "alive and well" the developer.roku.com ain't.
Can we settle on a middle ground, like "The troubled^ developer.roku.com"?

In truth, i think me and many (most?) other developers will be happy if "the new" site gets killed altogether because it is nothing more than mascara on top of the web services that https://owner.roku.com/Developer/ provides - but unlike the "old" site, the "new" one actually has serious problems. In private conversations top Roku developers (plural) have told me they avoid developer.roku.com as much as possible. Nobody has said a good word, that's for sure.

Surely back-pedaling won't be popular with management but if the issues have not been fixed for a 12 months, when will that happen? Looking at the photo above, it's obvious no QA has not spent even 5 minutes reviewing the screen. It has not been tested, plain and simple.

Alternative proposal, how about this - instead of killing "new" site, how about when outside developers waste hours fighting with the "new" portal, we get to bill RokuCo for the squandered time? Internally the Co. is can to cost-share/endorse such bills to the web team. Something tells me the issues will get fixed "presto change-o" :twisted:

(^) short form for "The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley" :mrgreen:
0 Kudos
destruk
Level 10

Re: The troubled^ developer.roku.com

When I go to roku.com, sign in, click on my account, and then using the link at the top for "Developer Site"
It takes me to Developer Home https://developer.roku.com/home and I can never get to manage my channels on my account.
This has been broken for over 6 months. Could you fix it please?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

Re: The troubled^ developer.roku.com

I'm either not seeing what you're seeing or misunderstanding the problem. What happens if you go to https://developer.roku.com/apps ?

-JT
0 Kudos
destruk
Level 10

Re: The troubled^ developer.roku.com

Hello renojim, if I am already logged in that works (which is what I've been using) - but to see what I'm seeing -
use the link you posted https://developer.roku.com/apps
Click the link "Developer site" at the top right navigation bar.
Now where is a link or anything on the page to get to the apps page again? There isn't one for me.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

Re: The troubled^ developer.roku.com

"destruk" wrote:
Hello renojim, if I am already logged in that works (which is what I've been using) - but to see what I'm seeing -
use the link you posted https://developer.roku.com/apps
Click the link "Developer site" at the top right navigation bar.
Now where is a link or anything on the page to get to the apps page again? There isn't one for me.

Is this not what you see? The "My Channels" section on the upper right is how you get to your apps.
[spoiler=Developer Site:2pqnz767][/spoiler:2pqnz767]
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

Re: Is developer.roku.com officially dead?

As an update, this particular issue below seems to been fixed - so it was demonstrated to me.
So yay, we can use new lines in web description again! (after being broken for a year?):
"EnTerr" wrote:
PS. i thought maybe i am too harsh to the "new" site. Maybe i was unfair. Maybe it got fixed. So i went tonight and tried to use it in good faith for a simple beta channel update, just went through all pages. But lo and behold, it still does not work:

What fresh heel is this? It's like a bug "turducken":
  1. it seems to not like a perfectly valid description (see same exact text, correctly rendered and everything at the public https://channelstore.roku.com/details/75560 )

  2. Diagnostic text makes no sense - why is it talking about "keywords" at the "web description" box

  3. And of course it won't let me save, insisting i should fix this that ain't broken - yet can't tell me why
0 Kudos