Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaBlues
Streaming Star

Re: IP Camera Viewer v4.0 with RTSP/ONVIF support released

>Majority that have problems are trying to use cheap no-name cameras that only has h264/h265

>streams. IP Camera Viewer only supports jpeg encoded streams (mjpeg, rtsp), or snapshots

>directly, or, with extra hardware, supports h264 streams too: https://github.com/e1ioan/rokuphp

That is a truly silly reply :).

Everything is made in China. No matter if I pay $40.00 or $150.00 for a camera, it's usually around the same quality. If I go to $400.00 cameras, then things are getting better and most people aren't going to be using expensive cameras.

Making such an assumption doesn't help those that have purchased this software and cannot use it. If it can only work with good quality cameras, then that should be mentioned in the app description.

What's cheap to you however may not be to someone else.

I've tried it with many cameras and only one works, an IP camera I built myself out of a mini router using mjpeg-streamer.

ioan
Roku Guru

@DaBlues wrote:

That is a truly silly reply :).

Everything is made in China. No matter if I pay $40.00 or $150.00 for a camera, it's usually around the same quality. If I go to $400.00 cameras, then things are getting better and most people aren't going to be using expensive cameras.

Making such an assumption doesn't help those that have purchased this software and cannot use it. If it can only work with good quality cameras, then that should be mentioned in the app description.

What's cheap to you however may not be to someone else.

I've tried it with many cameras and only one works, an IP camera I built myself out of a mini router using mjpeg-streamer.

Why are you saying is a silly response? What do you want me to do, say a magic spell so it works with your stuff? As I said in my previous answer, the application works very well with cameras that provide a jpeg encoded stream. I have about 20 different brands/models of cameras that I test on and it works from first try with all of them. Majority of emails I get asking for support are from people with cameras that do not provide a jpeg encoded stream, so I made an option for them, but it needs extra hardware and getting your fingers dirty.  If your camera doesn't provide a stream that is supported by the application, there isn't much I can do for you, but if you have a camera with jpeg encoded stream and doesn't work, then if you give me the brand/model, I might be able to check what's wrong. 

https://github.com/e1ioan/
http://rokucam.com
0 Kudos
DiffComputers
Reel Rookie

Did I miss the part where I can test RTSP streams in Basic? Pretty sure I have to pony up $5 for that.

I'm not trying to piz you off, but tagging you did seem to get you talking where you hadn't posted anything here in a long while.

Maybe this app is great, and underpriced at $5, but right now, I'm not getting that vibe.

DaBlues
Streaming Star

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure even the cheap cameras I have all have jpeg streaming.

The app is not able to configure even one single camera when I give it the IP of any camera on the network. It sees it based on giving it the IP but has never once been able to auto configure anything.

I'm not sure what you are using but maybe you need to start keeping a list of supported devices so that less people buy something they cannot use. I bought your paid version and as I said, have only ever been able to use one camera and that is a CHEAP one I built from a mini router that has mjpeg-streamer on it. That's the only camera that has ever worked with this.

It would be nice if you'd take a little more time to respond here sometimes and help some of us out that have given you money so I'm happy to see that since I asked about this nearly a year ago I think and never a reply.

0 Kudos
DiffComputers
Reel Rookie

@DaBlues try tagging @ioan . Apparently that’s how you get a response.

0 Kudos
ioan
Roku Guru

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure even the cheap cameras I have all have jpeg streaming.

I have multiple cheap cameras that have jpeg encoded stream. I have multiple models from Axis, Panasonic, Amcrest, Dahua, Hikvision, D-Link, Bosh, Canon, Foscam, Trendnet and some other brands that I don't remember right now, and they all work flawlessly. The ONVIF autoconfig only works if the camera is ONVIF compliant, and if it is, it should have rtsp jpeg encoded stream (surprise, multiple brands claim to be ONVIF compliant and do not support jpeg encoded streams).

The app is not able to configure even one single camera when I give it the IP of any camera on the network. It sees it based on giving it the IP but has never once been able to auto configure anything.

Your cameras are not ONVIF compliant, or they claim they are and only provide h264 stream, which makes them not ONVIF compliant.

I'm not sure what you are using but maybe you need to start keeping a list of supported devices so that less people buy something they cannot use. I bought your paid version and as I said, have only ever been able to use one camera and that is a CHEAP one I built from a mini router that has mjpeg-streamer on it. That's the only camera that has ever worked with this.

If you want cameras that are high quality and work perfectly with the application, buy Axis or Axis Companion cameras. You can find them fairly cheap on ebay and they are top of the line cameras.

It would be nice if you'd take a little more time to respond here sometimes and help some of us out that have given you money so I'm happy to see that since I asked about this nearly a year ago I think and never a reply.

I respond to all messages, if I get notified that I have a message. If I didn't answer, I probably didn't see the notification or I postponed the answer and forgot about it, sorry.

https://github.com/e1ioan/
http://rokucam.com
0 Kudos
showguns
Reel Rookie

I am now returning my second camera that doesn't work with your Roku App.

Please provide me a link to a camera that will work that is Wifi/Outdoor and around $100

This is getting ridiculous for me. Thanks.

0 Kudos
DaBlues
Streaming Star

LOL, yes, the author says you have to use good cameras. Is that in quality or cost? Both don't always go hand in hand. Is a $100.00 camera a good camera? Only the author knows.

It would be nice to have an actual list of known working cameras or a web page where folks can report which cameras this works with.

It's only worked with one camera. Bought the pro version for no good reason.

0 Kudos
jspilde
Channel Surfer

The URL I have works fine with a 4mp RLC-410 Reolink camera  and the same url works fine from a browser with a 5mp RLC-410-5mp camera, however it does not work with the app. I've tried specifying resolution in the url but it did not work. I suspect that the app can't handle the higher resolution or the longer url string to specify lower resolution but I can't say for sure. The author needs to please look into this and give us some help. @ioan 

0 Kudos
showguns
Reel Rookie

I found a link on another site that provides a list of all cameras and model numbers that work with Roku's IP Camera Viewer:  https://www.deskshare.com/ip-cameras-manufacturers-models.aspx 

If you are looking for the latest cameras added, look here at each version release of the app:  https://www.deskshare.com/help/ipcv/Whats-New.aspx 

I'm still working through the list trying to find one that'll work for me, but I thought I'd share the links.