Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Howto take Screenshot of channel displaying on TV using

"brucerothwell" wrote:
Hello RokuPatrick,

I guess I'm just a little leary about going to 3.0 because there is a sticky thread on the subject.
I'm fairly new to the Roku development arena, and only have the one Roku box... I don't want to break it.

Perhaps you can explain why I should no be concerned?

And then, tell me how I can get my box upgraded?

Thx,
Bruce

It won't break your Roku player. A change in the language could break your channel, so upgrading to 3.0 is recommended to test against. Send me or developer@roku.com your serial number and we can get you upgraded. And when we release 3.0 publicly, everyone will be upgraded.
0 Kudos
Tabays777
Visitor

I read through this thread, and still do not know how to take a screenshot. I understand how to open telnet with box. I did that. I clicked on Utilities. I see the button that says screenshot. I also see a file upload option, and password. That is where I am stumped. I tried to upload the package I created for my video player. When I click screenshot nothing displays. I tried uploading xml files, and even brs files. I cannot seem to figure out how to get the screens loaded or displayed, so the screenshot is possible. Can someone please explain what steps I am missing? This is not explained anywhere on the web. Seems most places I go, it is just assumed you already know how to do it.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"Tabays777" wrote:
I read through this thread, and still do not know how to take a screenshot. I understand how to open telnet with box. I did that. I clicked on Utilities. I see the button that says screenshot. I also see a file upload option, and password. That is where I am stumped. I tried to upload the package I created for my video player. When I click screenshot nothing displays. I tried uploading xml files, and even brs files. I cannot seem to figure out how to get the screens loaded or displayed, so the screenshot is possible. Can someone please explain what steps I am missing? This is not explained anywhere on the web. Seems most places I go, it is just assumed you already know how to do it.

You can only take screen shots of your running side-loaded application. See Section 7 of the Developer Guide for instructions on how to side-load your application. Section 3.6 of the Channel Packaging and Publishing document explains how to take the screenshot.

The file upload option on the utilities page is not used in this process. It is used for 're-keying' the device with different developer keys and inspecting the contents of a package. This process is explained near the end of Section 3.2 of the Channel Packaging document.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos