Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msbsankar2u
Visitor

Howto take Screenshot of channel displaying on TV using ROKU

can anyone tell how can i take screen shots of a channel on TV using ROKU box. While publishing the channel to roku website, they are asking the screen shots of channel images (1020 by 720 resolution).Please help me out.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Howto take Screenshot of channel displaying on TV using

Click on the "Utilities" link on the web interface and there's a button to take a Screenshot. Your box should be in one of the HD display modes when you take screenshots.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

The screenshot utility is only available in the 3.0 beta firmware. If you don't have that, then you'll need to use some other method. I've used a SlingBox to capture mine in the past.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

email me with your serial number and we can see about upgrading you to 3.0
0 Kudos
Mister_DNA
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
email me with your serial number and we can see about upgrading you to 3.0

If at all possible, I would like to upgrade to 3.0.

I've heard that there are ways to get screenshots using Telnet while in developer mode... is this true?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I'm unsure about the telnet option for screenshots. One thing of note is - if you are playing fullscreen video, you can't take a screenshot of the video through the utilities page.
0 Kudos

Can anyone shed light on a possible option for getting a channel application screenshot via telnet (or other mechanism) without having to go to 3.0?

-
Bruce Rothwell
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

At this time, screenshot functionality still requires a non-Roku2 running 3.0. If that's not an option, I know some people have used hardware capture cards and the like to capture screenshots, but that does require spending potentially non-trivial money. Is there a reason the 3.0 route isn't an option?
0 Kudos

Hello RokuPatrick,

I guess I'm just a little leary about going to 3.0 because there is a sticky thread on the subject.
I'm fairly new to the Roku development arena, and only have the one Roku box... I don't want to break it.

Perhaps you can explain why I should no be concerned?

And then, tell me how I can get my box upgraded?

Thx,
Bruce
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"brucerothwell" wrote:
Hello RokuPatrick,

I guess I'm just a little leary about going to 3.0 because there is a sticky thread on the subject.
I'm fairly new to the Roku development arena, and only have the one Roku box... I don't want to break it.

Perhaps you can explain why I should no be concerned?

And then, tell me how I can get my box upgraded?

Thx,
Bruce
It's fairly stable at this point (been running it myself since spring). The warning about it breaking your channel is due to sdk differences between the last 2.x version and 3.0, and it's more of a prompt that developers will need to check their code for compatibility...3.0 is more strict in a number of places. If you are using the 3.0 beta sdk (and included reference material) you're hopefully already writing your code to the stricter spec. In any event, Patrick should be able to get you set up with 3.0, if you want.

As an aside, if you plan on making any cash off your developed channels, it might be worth the investment in a second unit (even the most expensive models are <$100). That way you can hack away on one while the other does duty as an entertainment device.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos