Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abhishek
Channel Surfer

How to stretch a 4:3 Video to full screen (16:9)?

How to stretch a 4:3 Video to full screen (16:9)?
Postby abhishek » Tue May 17, 2016 7:41 pm

some of the videos are encoded in 4:3 format as visible on the screen. For the sake of uniformity we need to display every channel in a 16:9 format. Is there any way to convert (stretch) all the videos to one single format i.e 16:9

How can we stretch the video in roVideoPlayer?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
goku007
Reel Rookie

Re: How to stretch a 4:3 Video to full screen (16:9)?

Hi, @abhishek  did you find any solution for this issue? I'm also trying to get the resolution of the video stream and stretch the window if it comes with a different resolution.

0 Kudos
ssaguiar
Streaming Star

Re: How to stretch a 4:3 Video to full screen (16:9)?

I think that the video will be deformed because the two ratios are not equals (the 4:3 has a ratio of 1.33333 an the 16:9 has a ratio of 1.77778).

I usa a Poster element to show images and can apply the loadDisplayMode as "scaleToFit".

But, in the case of the video element, the Roku system will adapt the video to the screen ratio (in general is a 16:9). It will add one black bar on each side of the video so it will not be distorted.

In the video documentation (https://developer.roku.com/pt-br/docs/references/scenegraph/media-playback-nodes/video.md) there are 2 parameters in UI Fields, width and height.

width.  float.  0.0.  READ_WRITE.    Sets the width of the video play window in pixels. If set to 0.0 (the default), the video play window is set to the width of the entire display screen.

height   float   0.0.  READ_WRITE   Sets the height of the video play window in pixels. If set to 0.0 (the default), the video play window is set to the height of the entire display screen.

Maybe if you set these values to 0.0 they will scale to full width/height (with some cropping or distortion). This could be tested but I don't think it will work.

0 Kudos