Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rebekah1
Channel Surfer

How to sideload my app that's in development (to take screenshots)

Jump to solution

Hello! I am attempting to take screenshots of my (unpublished) app. I have done some research, and I understand that I must sideload the app, put the device in developer mode, access the ip address from a computer, etc. The problem I'm running into is I cannot figure out how to download a .zip file of my app so that I can sideload it to my device. Does anyone know how I can download a .zip file of my app from Roku's site? Am I missing something obvious? Is there a simpler way to take screenshots? I've tried reaching out to Roku directly, but their contact form is not currently working. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobMich
Channel Surfer

Re: How to sideload my app that's in development (to take screenshots)

Jump to solution

Ah, I didn’t notice that you were using direct publisher.  That makes it a little trickier.   There is an auto-generate option on the screenshots tab of the publisher.  This is suppose to get a single screenshot of your app.  Here is another thread that has some other suggestions on how to get screenshots for a direct publisher app:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Direct-Publisher/Screenshots-with-Direct-Publisher/td-p/412153

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RobMich
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Rebekah1.  I’m not sure I understand your question, but you cannot download a submitted package file from Roku.  To get the screenshots you’ll need to create the zip file from the development code on your machine and upload (side load) it to your test device.  Once it is on the test device, you can get the screenshots from the utilities tab on the app loader screen.

Rebekah1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Okay, maybe that's my issue: I'm using Direct Publisher, I did not build the app myself, I'm using Roku's tools on their website. So I have no .zip file of my app. So would I be correct in assuming that there's no way to get screenshots of my app if I'm using Direct Publisher?

Edit: I have downloaded the test version of my app to my Roku device, but I am unable to take screenshots of it. I'm assuming this is because I need to sideload it?

0 Kudos
RobMich
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ah, I didn’t notice that you were using direct publisher.  That makes it a little trickier.   There is an auto-generate option on the screenshots tab of the publisher.  This is suppose to get a single screenshot of your app.  Here is another thread that has some other suggestions on how to get screenshots for a direct publisher app:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Direct-Publisher/Screenshots-with-Direct-Publisher/td-p/412153

Rebekah1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Gotcha. Thank you so much for your help & suggestions!

To summarize for anyone else reading this thread: Roku will auto-generate a single screenshot of the main homepage of your app. If you need more than that, you'll have to purchase something that can capture from HDMI, which looks to be at least $100. Roku, if you're listening, you really need to fix this. It should not be this difficult to take a simple screenshot!

0 Kudos