Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhoard
Reel Rookie

How to prevent channel buffer between video load

I've recently built a Roku channel to work as a showroom display to stream videos of products continuously. The problem I'm facing is buffering between videos. Is there any remedy to this solution? Can I begin to preload a video before the current one ends? 

The current method for video delivery is a JSON object that contains URL links to a GCS. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
sjb64
Roku Guru

Re: How to prevent channel buffer between video load

No, you can't do that, A Roku has only 1 stream processing system, so it can't be dealing with 2 simultaneous streams.

You could load all the HLS M3U8's, create a single M3U8 for all of them as a single stream using the various TS files, save it online (or in tmp: if you set up an internal socket server) and stream from it.  You might have to use the M3U8 discontinuity flags of the TS's come from various sources.

jhoard
Reel Rookie

Ok, thank you. I will attempt to implement your solution and see how it goes. 

0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

It can be a bit tricky getting the discontinuity right, and loading it from an online source will be a lot easier than rolling a socket server on the box to load from tmp:.

0 Kudos