Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: How to cache several video clips locally

"destruk" wrote:
They want to sell their BrightSign product, so a stand-alone use like this wouldn't be in their best interest in that regard.
You would be able to copy your files to USB, and send it to your customers to set up onsite playing from usb with a custom playlist - with buffering between each video clip.
The largest file I've been able to store on a roku is about 200MB in the tmp directory - with most all other channels removed.

BrightSign is a high-priced niche product. If FireTV and AndroidTV allow writing to local FS, don't be surprised how quickly Roku will jump on that too.

Re storage, note that channel bundles use different FS than temp dir. tmp:/ is a RAM file system (i think it uses the ramfs and not tmpfs because it has no upper limit and storing too much unpredictably crashes the box).
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: How to cache several video clips locally

"EnTerr" wrote:
"destruk" wrote:
They want to sell their BrightSign product, so a stand-alone use like this wouldn't be in their best interest in that regard.
You would be able to copy your files to USB, and send it to your customers to set up onsite playing from usb with a custom playlist - with buffering between each video clip.
The largest file I've been able to store on a roku is about 200MB in the tmp directory - with most all other channels removed.

BrightSign is a high-priced niche product. If FireTV and AndroidTV allow writing to local FS, don't be surprised how quickly Roku will jump on that too.

Re storage, note that channel bundles use different FS than temp dir. tmp:/ is a RAM file system (i think it uses the ramfs and not tmpfs because it has no upper limit and storing too much unpredictably crashes the box).

BrightSign is also a completely different company. It split off from Roku several years ago.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos