Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lock_4815162342
Channel Surfer

How do you change focus out of a grid to another item?

I am learning SceneGraph and I have been modifying the SimpleGridWithDetailsAndVideo. I am now trying to add a search feature.

In case you are not familiar with this sample project, the screen I am working with, GridScreen.xml is just a grid of items. I have added a ButtonGroup with a search icon button at the top left corner of the screen. 

How do I change focus from my grid or RowList to the image at the top? :?:

Do I need to put the grid and button in some parent other than the Group component that they are currently in ? :?:

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any information that you can provide no matter how minor will be very appreciative. 🙂
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: How do you change focus out of a grid to another item?

I don't know if there may be other (better? easier?) ways to do this but you can certainly add an "onKeyEvent" function in your GridScreen.brs something like this:

Function OnKeyEvent(key, press) as Boolean
    result = false
    if press then
        if key = "up" and m.button.hasFocus() = false
            m.button.setfocus(true)
            result = true
        else if key = "down" and m.button.hasFocus() = true
            m.rowlist.setfocus(true)
            result = true
        end if
    end if
    return result
End Function

(Note: this assumes you've done a findNode on your button to set m.button)
aspiring
0 Kudos
lock_4815162342
Channel Surfer

Re: How do you change focus out of a grid to another item?

Thank you so much.  😄

I tried putting the SetFocus in the init just to test it but it didn't work. Putting it in the OnKeyEvent did the trick.

I am so grateful for such a helpful community. 🙂
0 Kudos