Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bollywood
Visitor

Re: How Do I Start Developing a Channel?

something good came out of contacting http://webcast.gov.in/,
they are considering the request and if the owner agrees, they will create channel for roku.

is there some sort of preformatted email that i can take and modify it and send it out to other channels that are already streaming live through their websites?
Hawk Cam
Live footage from the nest on top of Bobst Library at N.Y.U.
copy and paste the link in your browser or use keyword: hawkcam

https://owner.roku.com/add/hawkcam
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

is it possible to include an xml file within the channel instead of pointing to the xml feeds on the server?

i've been trying to understand the videoplayer sample channel. can i create an xml file pointing to multiple feeds and have this main xml file included in the channel source so that the channel is not looking for a file on a server?

thanks
Hawk Cam

0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

"bollywood" wrote:
is it possible to include an xml file within the channel instead of pointing to the xml feeds on the server?

i've been trying to understand the videoplayer sample channel. can i create an xml file pointing to multiple feeds and have this main xml file included in the channel source so that the channel is not looking for a file on a server?

thanks

Yes that is how the videoplayer example is set up. I haven't looked at it in a while but one of the files in the package is the xml file. The problem that you can encounter with that is that the only way you can update the contents displayed in the channel is by updating the xml that is within your channel package. That means publishing an update to the channel on Roku's servers
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

is there any other documentation besides what's in the sdk?

i wonder how chris finds it so easy to do.
Hawk Cam

0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

Since Brightscript, among other things, is similar to Javascript, there are web tutorials on Javascript, XML, and even Ajax uses that will help give you an overall understanding of what's going on, although not *specifically* Brightscript. You can look at http://www.w3schools.com for some very nice primers/tutorials on subject relevant to what you want to do with Roku. The best way to figure it out is to read and keep experimenting with a judicious application of patience.
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

correct me if i am reading the code incorrectly.

this is what i understood so far:

the channel reads the main xml file, which lists all the categories with each one pointing to its own xml file. when channel loads, main xml is loaded, then when user clicks on a category, only then the xml file for that category is loaded.

the bs code for the channel itself is what is so confusing to me. i keep getting lost while trying to track everything to see who is doing what.
Hawk Cam

0 Kudos
creator
Visitor

I can't get into my roku using the sequence given to input on the remote. It does nothing. Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right does not work for me. Is there a special trick or something? I want to get into the development mode on the roku.
Help please. I just starting and it really strange that the first thing I do doesn't work.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"creator" wrote:
I can't get into my roku using the sequence given to input on the remote. It does nothing. Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right does not work for me. Is there a special trick or something? I want to get into the development mode on the roku.
Help please. I just starting and it really strange that the first thing I do doesn't work.

Make sure you're on the home screen and that you're not entering the sequence too slow or too fast. You also need to use a physical remote, as the codes don't work when using a network based remote (at least not in my experience).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
creator
Visitor

Thanks to the endless for the answer about getting into the development program. It worked. I have another question. I was able to load the streaming player example for the audio app and it worked fine. I tried to modify the ip address in the npr streaming to point to an mp3 file I have on the web using the text editor in windows. I saved it as a brs text file. I then tried to zip the original player application with my small modification using win zip. I was able to see that an error occurred that said could not find source file. I zipped it from the directory that contained the source folder and pictures folder. I then loaded it but it never showed up on the roku screen. What am I doing wrong? Is it the way I am zipping the example application. Also I could not telnet into the program but I could use hyperterminal to see the lunix file on the roku. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"creator" wrote:
Thanks to the endless for the answer about getting into the development program. It worked. I have another question. I was able to load the streaming player example for the audio app and it worked fine. I tried to modify the ip address in the npr streaming to point to an mp3 file I have on the web using the text editor in windows. I saved it as a brs text file. I then tried to zip the original player application with my small modification using win zip. I was able to see that an error occurred that said could not find source file. I zipped it from the directory that contained the source folder and pictures folder. I then loaded it but it never showed up on the roku screen. What am I doing wrong? Is it the way I am zipping the example application. Also I could not telnet into the program but I could use hyperterminal to see the lunix file on the roku. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like your zip file may not be structured properly. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40458
0 Kudos