Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Addison1993
Visitor

Re: How Do I Start Developing a Channel?

I have already registered.How to download your tools?

----------------------------------
samsung galaxy s5 cover
samsung galaxy note 4 screen protector
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

If you have already signed up and linked your roku, go to owner.roku.com and sign in, then go to owner.roku.com/developer and download the SDK. The SDK is really just a set of example files which you can load onto your Roku for testing.

- Joel
0 Kudos
rockland
Visitor

I'm going through the so-called SDK. This is no easy task.

I need a video player hello world. Easy and straight forward. Does someone have the HSN Channel Code? It's so simple, you click on the channel, it opens a picture 1280x720 then it starts loading the video stream. And voila, you are watching.

Another video player hello world would have 2 icons for streaming 2 or more video streams from an xml feed or hardcoded.

Please make our life easy...
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

That would be the simplevideoplayer example. You could delete anything besides the video playback function, rename that function to Function Main, and your video playback hello world would just need a URL and add the line:

srt=""

after you set your URL, off you go.

Your second request is slightly (not much) more complicated but it being the weekend, I'm not going to throw one together for you this minute, but maybe if I have some time during the week...

- Joel
0 Kudos
rockland
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
That would be the simplevideoplayer example. You could delete anything besides the video playback function, rename that function to Function Main, and your video playback hello world would just need a URL and add the line:

srt=""

after you set your URL, off you go.

Your second request is slightly (not much) more complicated but it being the weekend, I'm not going to throw one together for you this minute, but maybe if I have some time during the week...

- Joel

Thanks Joel. I did not mean to take time from your weekend. When you have time, please make an easy hello world video player. The issue with the provided simplevideoplayer is that it has many files in the /source folder with no working xml file. The brighscript language seems a full fledged programming language. This certainly not html that you can learn in 15 min.

Is there a comparison of the BrightScript and any other programming language?

BTW, Thanks for the code. I'll give it another shot.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Where are you finding your copy of simplevideoplayer? The only one I know of has exactly one source file and doesn't use xml. Yes of course Brightscript is a programming language. But if you can learn html in 15 minutes you shouldn't have much problem learning brightscript. It's fairly similar in many ways to javascript.

--Mark
0 Kudos
rockland
Visitor

Thanks Joel and Martin. I got further this time.

I just need one more advice. My HLS video is displaying in 4x3 and I would like to stretch it across the screen, i.e, full screen. How can I do that?

Here's what I have :
videoclip.streamqualities=["HD"]
videoclip.StreamFormat = "hls"
videoclip.Title = "Title of channel"
0 Kudos
hard85
Visitor

I need help

Template tab not show?

0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

This may be due to the size of your screen - if you put that dialog on a larger monitor and stretch the top or bottom, you should see the Template field.

- Joel
0 Kudos
rockland
Visitor

Please someone answer my previous question.

How can I force 16:9 video aspect ratio? It's defaulting to 4:3.
0 Kudos