Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
attylawdhg
Visitor

Re: How Do I Start Developing a Channel?

Does this Forum put people in touch who can assist in developing a channel. My firm would like to develop a Q&A channel similar to Handel on the Law (syndicated radio show where an attorney answers Q's). I have NO experience with software development or any type of channel development. I have the legal knowledge, but I would need to partner with someone who can get the channel on Roku.

Best,

David H. Glass, Esq.
attylawdhg@yahoo.com
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

^ http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31664
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos

"attylawdhg" wrote:
Does this Forum put people in touch who can assist in developing a channel. My firm would like to develop a Q&A channel similar to Handel on the Law (syndicated radio show where an attorney answers Q's). I have NO experience with software development or any type of channel development. I have the legal knowledge, but I would need to partner with someone who can get the channel on Roku.

Best,

David H. Glass, Esq.
attylawdhg@yahoo.com

Hi David, I recommend to contact www.lightcast.com. They are developing Roku Channels and provide also a CDN and OVP to host and manage your video files. The interfaces are easy-to-use and the channels are built very professional. I'm really satisfied with them. More information on www.lightcast.com/roku . Hope you find the best vendor for your needs. 😄
0 Kudos
kjlake
Channel Surfer

Is is possible to post the code for the Roku Newscaster channel as an example? It contains many features which could be very helpful in developing a channel. Thanks.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

So its my first time attempting this, and my question is if the appMain file in the SimpleVideoPlayer is basically like a template file, for use to just tweak some code or links. Otherwise, is there a generic template anywhere within the SDK files?!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

simplevideoplayer is a generic template for learning how to set up and play a video on the Roku, especially useful for testing live video.

All the examples in the SDK are there for you to learn how to create a channel.

- Joel
0 Kudos
BillInWY
Visitor

I would like to create a small channel for our church.

I have already signed up for a Development account and I was wondering if someone could assist me.

We already have videos up on Vimeo and are able to be accessed on the church website. Can I still use Vimeo to house my sermon videos and be able to have the Roku play the videos that are on Vimeo?

Our church cannot afford to pay for server space to house the sermon videos so we use Vimeo. We have about 250 people who attend, but would like to reach out to the community or others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"BillInWY" wrote:
I would like to create a small channel for our church.

I have already signed up for a Development account and I was wondering if someone could assist me.

We already have videos up on Vimeo and are able to be accessed on the church website. Can I still use Vimeo to house my sermon videos and be able to have the Roku play the videos that are on Vimeo?

Our church cannot afford to pay for server space to house the sermon videos so we use Vimeo. We have about 250 people who attend, but would like to reach out to the community or others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

You'd typically would need a Vimeo Pro account in order to access your Vimeo hosted videos on a player other than Vimeo's. It's actually pretty inexpensive at ~$200/year, but they might have a non-profit discount. Either way, your first step would be to ensure you can legally access the videos before you put the effort into the channel, so I'd suggest contacting Vimeo support first.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Darik
Visitor

If I am looking to add a http address for a live tv, what will be the process, should I I need to use the developer softer.
0 Kudos
luiznick
Visitor

Hello,

I am new in developer channel, and I have a trouble, could you tell me how to reduce this space marked in the figure, I can not find the code

tks

Luiz Nicolau

0 Kudos