Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How Do I Start Developing a Channel?

I would like to start a Roku Channel I think I'm going to use this site: http://www.rokuchanneldevelopment.com/ .Most of my present video and audio is here:http://rhodespoetry.com . I run a PEG channel TV show also.

I'm wondering do most channels post content that at least pay for itself in the beginning with subscriptions? They told me to expect to start out 200 gigs bandwidth. I'm probably going to use kickstarter.

Are there any lists of important business rules to follow?

What do you recommend I do above all? Note I'm not a coder although I have created web sites. They have indicated that site will be within my understanding to take over once it is running.

Here is my TV Channel: http://blip.tv/sanfranciscopoetry
0 Kudos
morning
Visitor

hello

i am trying to create a private channel for my roku, but my roku is an older version

when i wend to download the sdk, this is the file i downloaded RokuSDK_v41.zip

is this the correct version or do i need to download an older version of the sdk that will work with my roku?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That one will work. There may be a few things that only work in 4.x, but there aren't many.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
morning
Visitor

thanks a lot, i am going to get to working on the channel now.

just did not wanted to create a channel and then have it not work on my old roku.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"morning" wrote:
thanks a lot, i am going to get to working on the channel now.

just did not wanted to create a channel and then have it not work on my old roku.

For the most part, anything that's new and won't work on the Roku 1s will be marked as "Since v4.3" or something like that. Anything 3.1 or earlier will work on the old boxes.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
MKSPCG
Visitor

Greetings,
I am a new developer. I have read all of the manuals, Design Guide, Developer Guide, Component Reference.
I am at the beginning of Packaging Your Application. I am stuck on GenKey.
Can you assist me with questions step by step. I've developed over 100 websites, but I am having problems with this new development of a channel. I don't want to hire anyone, because I know that I can do it, with some assistance.
First question: In the telnet console... I am trying to figure out where or what is the telnet console?? I have place my IP address in the address bar, and the "Development Application Installer," appears in / on my computer screen. I did not see the Roku's serial number nor the prompt > _
Second question deals with the .zip application
I created a compress .zip file but when I submit it using the Browser in the "Development Application Installer," it came back with the following error message: "application Received: 15234 bytes stored Install Failure: Unzip failed. Invalid archive. unloading
The same thing with the Application Package Utilities "Invalid public key HD mode 1280X720 image required for channel store update.
Third question: How do I create the correct zip application? In section 7.0 Loading, Running your Application walk through
7.1 Enabling Development Mode on your box:
7.2 Application Installer Page item # 4) the location of the application zip file... The full path to the application.

As stated above. I keep getting error message because I am not doing it correctly. Can you help me by giving me instructions, to create the application zip file?
Thank you so much for your help. :oops:
Arch Bishop Marcia Karen Abrams, MD
0 Kudos
MKSPCG
Visitor

"MKSPCG" wrote:
Greetings,
I am a new developer. I have read all of the manuals, Design Guide, Developer Guide, Component Reference.
I am at the beginning of Packaging Your Application. I am stuck on GenKey.
Can you assist me with questions step by step. I've developed over 100 websites, but I am having problems with this new development of a channel. I don't want to hire anyone, because I know that I can do it, with some assistance.
First question: In the telnet console... I am trying to figure out where or what is the telnet console?? I have place my IP address in the address bar, and the "Development Application Installer," appears in / on my computer screen. I did not see the Roku's serial number nor the prompt > _
Second question deals with the .zip application
I created a compress .zip file but when I submit it using the Browser in the "Development Application Installer," it came back with the following error message: "application Received: 15234 bytes stored Install Failure: Unzip failed. Invalid archive. unloading
The same thing with the Application Package Utilities "Invalid public key HD mode 1280X720 image required for channel store update.
Third question: How do I create the correct zip application? In section 7.0 Loading, Running your Application walk through
7.1 Enabling Development Mode on your box:
7.2 Application Installer Page item # 4) the location of the application zip file... The full path to the application.

As stated above. I keep getting error message because I am not doing it correctly. Can you help me by giving me instructions, to create the application zip file?
Thank you so much for your help. :oops:
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

The Packaging and Publishing document has been updated recently with more step-by-step instructions. Have you read Section 3? Under 3.1 Genkey, it says

To run genkey, you must have a telnet client. A telnet client is available for all modern operating systems. It is often simply called 'telnet', which is what we shall use in the examples below.

Your browser is not a telnet client. If you don't know how to run your telnet client, post what operating system you are using and someone should be able to help.

--Mark
0 Kudos
MKSPCG
Visitor

Thank you for responding, the turn around time is excellent. I am using the Window 7 operating system. Micro Soft Windows Explorer & Fire Fox
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"MKSPCG" wrote:
Thank you for responding, the turn around time is excellent. I am using the Window 7 operating system. Micro Soft Windows Explorer & Fire Fox

See the link below for How to Enable Telnet Client in Windows 7:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wik ... ows-7.aspx

When creating the zip package, it is important to be sure the directory structure is correct. The top level (root) of the zip should contain the manifest file, and (at a minimum) a folder called source and (usually) a folder called images. See the examples at http://sourceforge.net/projects/rokusdkexamples/

Don't (for instance) put the entire application folder inside a zip, adding an extra directory layer:
file.zip>myAwesomeApp>manifest <--This is wrong.
file.zip>manifest <--This is right
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos