Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
koshermetal
Visitor

Re: How Do I Start Developing a Channel?

I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong...I'm pretty sure it's the XML, but I could be wrong. That's why I'm coming to you guys 😄

Please refer to the post I did last night in a different thread http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26563#p304541

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Free 24/7 Metal radio via web or smartphone
www.koshermetal.com
0 Kudos

I spent thousands of hours developing a roku channel that I was hoping to get added to the channel store...

I submitted it to ROKU about a month back and got a reply about a week later that it was denied for inclusion in the channel store.

But I can't get any feedback from ROKU on why the channel was not accepted and what I can change to get it accepted. I was thanked for being part of the roku development community and was advised I can keep it private and all that good stuff. But the whole reason I developed a show was to promote it on ROKU. I also am promoting ROKU on my website, to my viewers and itune followers.

At this point I wish ROKU would show me some love and help a brother out. I can make changes if I knew what to make.
0 Kudos
4n6days
Visitor

"gonzotek" wrote:
make is a command line tool, so you access it from a command line :).

I have an Ubuntu box set up for the purpose of messing around with my roku stuff. How do I use make? Once I have the template edited and on the ubuntu machine, what directory do I have to be in so 'make' knows what to do?

What's the difference between 'make' and 'make install.' Can I just do the 'make' then manually install the zip via the web interface of my roku?
0 Kudos
Fhoward

Ok in hopes of not being redundant, here is the problem that I am running into. I am working on a mac and using terminal. I am trying to just use the basics to try and understand the process of creating a private channel. I use these instructions and now i have a small issue and questions, if you can help great

Packaging:
1)
Set your ROKU_DEV_TARGET environment variable.

export ROKU_DEV_TARGET=your roku IP address. I am figuring that this is done in terminal, but when I type in export ROKU_DEV_TARGET=my roku IP address, nothing happens, what am i doing wrong

2) Create a zip file with make. On your development machine, go to the directory where you edited the code. You will see a Makefile. Edit just this one line in the middle of the Makefile:
 APPNAME = your_happy_little_app_name I am using ROKUs video player makefile just as a test for now, if that's OK

3) Type make
 Where do I type this? In Terminal? Tried that and nothing happened

4) Type make install
 Where do I type this? In Terminal? Tried that also and nothing happened

5) In your web browser, type in http://YOUR_ROKU_IP_ADDRESS
6) Remember those keys we generated in Part 1? Here they come into play. From the Roku documentation. I can’t shorten this and they’ve explained it better than I could:
0 Kudos
4n6days
Visitor

Can anyone help with this?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"4n6days" wrote:
How do I use make? Once I have the template edited and on the ubuntu machine, what directory do I have to be in so 'make' knows what to do?

You should be in the top directory of your project -- that is, the directory that contains manifest, source, etc. There should also be a Makefile there

"4n6days" wrote:

What's the difference between 'make' and 'make install.' Can I just do the 'make' then manually install the zip via the web interface of my roku?

Plain "make" just creates the zip file. "make install" sends it to your Roku box (the one at the $ROKU_DEV_TARGET address). If you prefer, you can build the zip file with make (or without it) and install via the web page. There's no difference from the Roku's point of view.

--Mark
0 Kudos

I recently submitted for a public channel on Roku. I also contacted Joel directly regarding the submission. I was wondering how long should it be until I hear back. I have made multiple improvements to the channel and I am just wondering when it might be reviewed again.

Thank you!

Bryan

Channel Name Make Money Online Network
Visibility Public
Date Created 10/07/2011
Date Modified 01/04/2012
Accounts Installed 220

Vanity Access Code mmon
Parental Hint All Ages
Additional Requirements None
Purchase Type None (Free )
Price $0.00
0 Kudos

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to the excellent developers over at ROKU that helped me get my channel online!

Thanks again!

Bryan
Channel: Make Money Online Network

p.s. - if anyone is interested in posting related videos within my network, please contact me!
0 Kudos
new2design
Visitor

Not sure if this is the correct thread.... Please help in building a channel? Does anyone have step by step instructions that are not so technical or is there anyone who builds channels? If so what are the costs? 😄
0 Kudos

You can find a list of developers for building channels, but at this point I would look in to 3rd party providers that will build the apps for you and you can use their simple web interface to do most of the work for you. Set up costs are much lower than getting a channel completely developed for you and ongoing costs are fairly small. It seems like most charge around $100 a month + bandwidth

I hope it is ok for me to post information on them. I have not used them myself. But I did speak with each and they sound very promising.

http://www.streamotor.com/

http://www.castfire.com/

Bryan
0 Kudos