Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobertWK
Visitor

Hosting roku channel/content off of a smartphone

I realize that the roku 3 now supports casting, but for previous devices is it possible to host a channel on an ios or android device and add a local private channel on the roku to access content on that device?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

Re: Hosting roku channel/content off of a smartphone

"RobertWK" wrote:
I realize that the roku 3 now supports casting, but for previous devices is it possible to host a channel on an ios or android device and add a local private channel on the roku to access content on that device?

If your phone is running a server and the channel on the Roku can find it, I don't see why not.
0 Kudos
RobertWK
Visitor

What kind of server would I need to run?
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

You might want to ask in the Developer's Forum.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Topic moved to Developer Forum

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Visitor

Look in the appstore for your android device for dlna server, or upnp media server. Bubble is the name of one I've used, but I know there are others. They will find the content on your device. You will need to make sure your device is connected to your local wifi network with the same router that the Roku is on. Then start up Roku Media Player and see if the dlna server on your tablet or smart phone shows up on the Roku inside RMP. I was able to get it to work with my Nexus 7.
0 Kudos