Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hire someone to make a channel for me...

Is it possible to "hire" someone to program/create a channel/app for me? As I don't have the programming skills needed to do this myself directly?

What I actually want to create is a channel that is very similar to the "Roku Media Player" app, yet will allow the user to input a URL/IP Address of their home DLNA NAS device so that they can view their own videos/music/photos that reside on their own personal NAS cloud that doesn't reside on the local network.

Thus allowing someone who has multiple Roku units at multiple locations to access a single DLNA NAS server that is located on the internet and not on the local network.

I hope I made sense in what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks

TGC
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Veeta
Visitor

Re: Hire someone to make a channel for me...

There are many ways to achieve your goal. Though I may be wrong, I don't think you can use DLNA on the Internet at large, it's only able to connect devices located on the same local network.

Some existing channels will load media from Internet services, such as the channel we're about to launch called Picta for Dropbox. Other channels which do similar things are Couchy Play and Roksbox.

If you still need more customization, look at http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31664 for some resources.
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

You can input a manual IP address in Chaneru but it's not DLNA. DLNA relies on UPnP broadcast which won't work across the internet.
0 Kudos

I didn't think DLNA would work across the Internet. However, iOS apps as well as some android apps do allow for streaming from quite a number of different DLNA server to ones smartphone and or tablet currently.

Using one of several different apps, I can stream video, music, or pics to my iPhone and or iPad with little difficulty.
Surely there has to be a way that an app for the Roku could do the same.

As I have seen apps for the RoKu that would stream several cloud services, such as Dropbox. However, the cost of having a cloud service with 36tb is only affordable by bill gates, and maybe the rockefellers! Lol I do have "cloud" capability using my laptop or iOS device with the NAS units.

I was hoping playon would work, as the play on app for iOS devices work across the Internet and not just from ur home network.

I will give Chaneru a shot though. Will it tell me what ports I need to open on my router?

Thanks
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

You would enter the IP:port of the remote address. You have to have an HTTP server running and there must be a folder named "Roku" in the root directory.
0 Kudos