Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbell
Visitor

Help with search querying

I'm trying to add a search capability to my search screen and I'm a little lost cause the SDK documentation barely mentions anything about it.

What Brightscript component should I use to to connect to my SQL database?

Will the roSearchScreen function handle the query itself or do I have to handle it?

And if I have to handle the query myself does the query have to be in any special format such as xml?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Help with search querying

I'm trying to add a search capability to my search screen and I'm a little lost cause the SDK documentation barely mentions anything about it.

There's example code in the roSearchScreen documentation. Have you looked at that?

What Brightscript component should I use to to connect to my SQL database?

roUrlTransfer.

Will the roSearchScreen function handle the query itself or do I have to handle it?

You handle the search yourself. The search screen just handles the UI and then tells your code what the user wants to search for.

And if I have to handle the query myself does the query have to be in any special format such as xml?

No, that's between your Brightscript code and your server code. It can be any format you want.

--Mark
0 Kudos
lbell
Visitor

Re: Help with search querying

Thanks Mark, I really appreciate it!

Yeah, I have looked at the example code but I thought there might be something hidden in the code that would everything for me... I was hoping anyway..

But the UI will display a selectable option from the query that given to it from the server?
Or should I handle that..and how?
Also I tried displaying a large amount of text using the rotextscreen component but it just crashes everytime it loads..any ideas?
0 Kudos