Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HLS

Hi All,

I am using the Custom Video Player to stream a live video to my Roku. I am using three different bitrates and I am looking for a way to see if the Roku device is switching between the bitrates if the bandwidth falls.

I have managed to tax my internet connection to the point where the Roku stops playing the stream and goes back to "Loading". I was connected to the debug console but never saw a message regarding switching bitrates.

How can I confirm if the Roku is really switching between the available bitrates?

I am streaming from a Wowza server.

Cheers,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
cgerrish
Visitor

Re: HLS

look at your wowza logs
0 Kudos

Wowza logs aren't being of much help. Is there anywhere I can look at on the Roku? I've looked in the debug console, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of bitrate switching, unless I have to write special code for this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

If you add an event to the Wait loop in the customvideoplayer example that captures the IsStreamStarted event, printing the msg.GetInfo() for that event should tell you what bitrate is being used.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

Thank you, you sound like you know your way around! I am just getting started, can you help me by posting the code for this?

Thanks,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

That only tells you the bitrate chosen when the stream initially starts. And it actually just reports whatever the app declares in StreamBitrate. There are no events sent to the app when the video player changes bitrates in an HLS stream. I don't think there is any easy way to tell which bitrates the player has chosen other than finding out what requests are being made to the server.

--Mark
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
That only tells you the bitrate chosen when the stream initially starts. And it actually just reports whatever the app declares in StreamBitrate. There are no events sent to the app when the video player changes bitrates in an HLS stream. I don't think there is any easy way to tell which bitrates the player has chosen other than finding out what requests are being made to the server.

--Mark

Mark, it looks like the isStreamStarted() event never actually gets called with the roVideoPlayer anyway, so it's a moot point. Might want to update the documentation, or check into that if it's supposed to be...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

So perhaps running a sniffer on the client end will shed some light?

Cheers,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

The Roku box has tcpdump, you can enable it, follow these directions:

viewtopic.php?p=159786
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos

In the CustomVideoPlayer, where should I place this code:

videoclip.minBandwidth = 20

In order to allow the Roku to play low bandwidth streams?

Thanks,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos