Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rainlake
Visitor

HLS worked,finally

Finally ,I stream my HD-PVR to roku player.here is how it working:
I buffer 5 files in memory,each is 2820000 bytes length about 8s per file.
create m3u8 file dynamicly, and send the buffered file via http.
So ,file live transcoding function will be easy to add.

there are 2 advices:
1. the player buffer about 50 seconds before playing, is this configable? I think it's too long while stream via lan.
2. HLS only support aac. will ac3 passthrough been supported? most of my files is encoded by ac3. the hd-pvr is encoded as ac3 too,if it's 5.1 channels.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
bbefilms
Visitor

Re: HLS worked,finally

Hmm, my experience using Apple's HLS tools in Snow Leopard has been the kinda opposite; buffering time compared to streaming for the same bitrate (2.3mb/s), resolution (720P) and codec (H264 using x264 compression) with 10 second segments was *way* down, buffering for a couple of seconds tops. I'm stunned with how well HLS is running on the Roku player. What bitrate, resolution and H264 codec are you using?
0 Kudos
rainlake
Visitor

I think it's the player decide how long to buffer.
my bitrate is 3Mb/s, 720p with aac(2 channels).
"bbefilms" wrote:
Hmm, my experience using Apple's HLS tools in Snow Leopard has been the kinda opposite; buffering time compared to streaming for the same bitrate (2.3mb/s), resolution (720P) and codec (H264 using x264 compression) with 10 second segments was *way* down, buffering for a couple of seconds tops. I'm stunned with how well HLS is running on the Roku player. What bitrate, resolution and H264 codec are you using?
0 Kudos
PRIZM
Visitor

Yes but how is it being called by the player from a XML thats how im using it and im getting the player not to load..

"bbefilms" wrote:
0 Kudos
PRIZM
Visitor

This is the XML im trying to use..

<item sdImg="http://xxx.xxxxxx.xxx/videoplayer/images/espntvlogo.jpg" hdImg="http://xxx.xxxxxx.xxx/videoplayer/images/espntvlogo.jpg">
<title>ESPN</title>
<contentId>10002</contentId>
<contentType>Live TV</contentType>
<contentQuality>SD</contentQuality>
<media>
<streamFormat>hls</streamFormat>
<streamQuality>SD</streamQuality>
<streamBitrate>700</streamBitrate>
<streamUrl>http://xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxx/apple/espn/espn.m3u8</streamUrl>
</media>
<synopsis>ESPN Sports All The Time!</synopsis>
<genres>Sports</genres>
<runtime>5000</runtime>
</item>

"PRIZM" wrote:
Yes but how is it being called by the player from a XML thats how im using it and im getting the player not to load..

"bbefilms" wrote:
0 Kudos
Naveed_Anjum
Visitor

I have the same problem as mentioned by prizm. I have the same xml to stream live content but it simply not working.. Can any body told me where is the problem?
0 Kudos
PRIZM
Visitor

Naveed, if you could post or PM me your XML I will take a look. If you are testing this with the videoplayer example in the SDK there are a few things you will have to change. A couple in the XML and one litle change to the appVideoScreen.brs file in the source dir then re-zip and load back to the boX.. it's late where I am so I will get Around to answering your post or Pm in the morning.. Read all the post from me and the responces from the roku guys and you will probally see the changes you need to make as well.

Oh yea read all this thread it explains what I went through to fix as well:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27612

PRIZM....$$$
0 Kudos
Naveed_Anjum
Visitor

Thank you so much Prizm for your response.

Now it gets working for me also..
0 Kudos