Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billiam
Visitor

A modest proposal

Hi,

First of all, I love my Roku box and appreciate the fact that you've added an SDK.

I'd like to propose adding additional language support to the SDK. Specifically, I'd like to recommend using Javascript or Lua .

Reasons:

• Developers should not need to learn a new language to develop for a new device.

• Developers incur significant overhead when attempting to write Roku plugins, which slows adoption of the Roku SDK.

• Since Brightscript is a custom language, developmental toolchains either do not exist or were written by Roku staff (the linker, the compiler, any Lint or analysis tools, etc). Using a popular language would allow bootstrapping of existing tools.

What I'd like to see is Javascript support. Developers would write in Javascript, which could be compiled to support the Roku box using v8. This would allow developers who know Javascript to use their skills to write Roku plugins, while letting Roku concentrate on API development. Additionally, this would allow web-based mocking tools to be created (such as a web-based emulator).

Note that when I talk about Javascript, I do not meant Javascript as typically used on the web. I'm referring to the base language, which would not support the DOM or any of the window.* or document.* objects. Roku could add or remove functionality as necessary (for example, Javascript's regular expression library might not be sufficiently performant and could be left unsupported by the library).
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: A modest proposal

billiam,

Thanks for the suggestions. We realize that there are a lot of languages out there that people know and may want to use. For now, BrightScript will have to suffice, though we do hope to improve tools and workflow in the future.

Patrick
0 Kudos
billiam
Visitor

Re: A modest proposal

Thanks for the reply.

I may attempt to write a Javascript -> Brightscript cross-compiler, but it'll depend on how much free time I have.

Best Regards,
Bill Zeller
0 Kudos