Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HLS streaming questions

It could be the firmware. I have a different version than you. I hadn't thought to check that before. My bad.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
tried that and still got this error

------ Running ------
The format is not supported or the media is corrupt.

------ Running ------

------ Running ------

Crap, this stinks that it wont work on my box... Chris do you find it strange that it will work over there but not here?

Thats why i have lost so much time and it could have been working all this time but not on my box... i have the following box

version 2.7 -bulid 857
model n1100

If it helps, I get the same error as you, dynamitemedia.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Hm, I don't see why the firmware version should make a difference in playing this. dynamitemedia, can you send me your serial number?

--Mark
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

I sent my Serial over....

It is strange though, working on some and not on others...

its strange also that my iphone wont play this, but its also not playing a normal m3u8 that roku does so its not much help either.

as stated before Vlc will play it, strangely but will play it.

i am also wondering if its still working for Chris after I uncomment the headers.
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:

its strange also that my iphone wont play this, but its also not playing a normal m3u8 that roku does so its not much help either.

i am also wondering if its still working for Chris after I uncomment the headers.

Have you tried playing the file in quick succession more than once? That and another error message were/are common for me and some end users of my app/channel.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

im not sure what you mean in quick succession? the video wont load at all... just stops at 13% or maybe 33%
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
So there is not another Developer here that is using apache to serve the stream?

Is there a reason? is it not a good idea or any help here would be help as i have spent 2 weeks on trying to get this to work, if its something that wont work please let me know.

There's nothing wrong with using apache/php. The nature of my app is different from the original intended use of HLS. If I were a content provider for the Roku, then IIS/Apache would make perfect sense. In Gabby, we are not doing that; we are serving up a user's local content. Therefore apache/php don't make a lot of sense. I think the issues you're having may be how you're interpreting and/or executing the HLS spec. I understand how frustrating it can be. That's what these forums are for -- help and support. You will get it working -- it's just a matter of time. If you have access to a Mac or an iPhone, then that will greatly enhance your development efforts. If you don't, try writing a simple dummy client using cUrl/libcurl to download the playlist you're serving. You should be able to write it in PHP or C/C++. Once you get a raw HTTP dump, you can then compare it to what I posted and see if there are any differences. Another option might be to generate the playlist "offline" with C/C++ and serve it up later. The open source segmenter(s) have options for this that you could exploit (if necessary).

Best of luck,
RT
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
im not sure what you mean in quick succession? the video wont load at all... just stops at 13% or maybe 33%

Ahhh, so it NEVER loads. How are your files segmented? And are you sure they're encoded correctly for playback on the Roku? What codecs are you using?
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

yes they are encoded correctly because if i hard code the playlist they work.

also Chris is able to play my .php file, but i cant.

Its not an encoding issue for playback. its some sort if issue with the playlist. It works for Chris but not for Endless or I
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:

I asked you how your files were encoded -- but you if you explain the strange behavior in VLC, then we might have something. In VLC (which doesn't support HLS), you should see the chunks play one by one as individual files. It doesn't splice them together, but each chunk should play fine alone. And by fine, I mean start/end with no weirdness at all. If you're seeing different behavior like video/audio out of sync, video playing really fast, video doesn't show for a second or two when playback starts, or video followed by audio -- then you're (probably) not segmenting the files correctly. I spent about 3-4 days on this issue myself, so I might be able to help you (if that's the case).

Thanks,
RT
0 Kudos