Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjsteele
Visitor

HLS and Events?

What events associated with the new HLS format? i.e. Segment Change? Playlist Complete?

The reason I ask is because I am combining several different clips into one M3U8 playlist. It would be very handy if I can determine what segment I am playing.

Would the #EXTINF syntax help?

Thanks!!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: HLS and Events?

There are no new events for HLS. All the normal events that occur during MP4 playback occur during HLS. There is no special event to indicate a segment change.

Also you should be aware that currently playback of mixed content in an HLS stream will work only if the timestamps in the stream (the PTS values) increment seamlessly across all the pieces of content. You can't, for example, concatenate two streams that both start at PTS zero because the jump back down to zero at the boundary will confuse the decoder and probably produce A/V sync problems and other issues.

--Mark
0 Kudos
pjsteele
Visitor

Thanks Mark. That is very helpful
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

There are new video playback events in the new v2.6 firmware, but they are not specific to HLS. They apply to all video playback... The new event types are:

isStreamStarted()
isPaused()
isResumed()

--Kevin
0 Kudos