Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claudioc
Visitor

Re: HLS Troubleshooting

how is it possible no engineers answered me on the FIRST post on the forum after this much time ^_^ ? just seems like a while to pass for the first post on the forum not to be noticed. please take the effort engineers, because i have tried all variations of HD footage, and it just does not work over HLS, nothing higher than DVD Resolution will work properly, its just scrambled, and im 100% sure it works otherwise in flash situation BEFORE the HLS packaging in adobe, and like i said lower resolution works in HLS so there's no argument the HLS streaming works in general.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

are you setting streamqualities to ["HD"]? What kind of encoder are you using? Can you PM me an example of your streaming URL? I have not seen a problem like this streaming HD content over HLS.

You might want to try with a bitrate lower than 3000kbps for initial testing.

- Joel
0 Kudos
claudioc
Visitor

well i have resolved the issue now, up to 1080p is working fine now.
0 Kudos

"claudioc" wrote:
well i have resolved the issue now, up to 1080p is working fine now.

ok... Don't be an ass!

Would you like to tell the community how you did it?
0 Kudos
dootv
Visitor

We are using Adobe FLME and Wowza. What would be the recommended settings for those that are familiar with FLME and Wowza.

Here is what I have in our Wowza Origin application:
<Property>
<Name>cupertinoChunkDurationTarget</Name>
<Value>10000</Value>
<Type>Integer</Type>
</Property>
<Property>
<Name>cupertinoMaxChunkCount</Name>
<Value>10</Value>
<Type>Integer</Type>
</Property>
<Property>
<Name>cupertinoPlaylistChunkCount</Name>
<Value>8</Value>
<Type>Integer</Type>
</Property>
<Property>
<Name>cupertinoRepeaterChunkCount</Name>
<Value>8</Value>
<Type>Integer</Type>
</Property>

For FMLE, our advanced encoding settings is set to:
Profile: Main
Level: 4.0
Keyframe Frequency: 10 seconds.

What needs to be adjusted to improve the "loading please wait" issue. Some of our source is coming from Asia with latency. Anyone getting it to work successfully in a similar scenario?
0 Kudos
dootv
Visitor

"claudioc" wrote:
i need to know what the limits are to the resolutions, for example netflix claims up to 1080p, but im unable to get a non-scrambled hls stream above 704x400, i can raise the bitrate nice and high, but i would like to be able to do live streaming up to 720p and 1080p myself i have the equipment for that already, its just a matter of the profile settings and so on now being accepted, and i dont see these settings listed any where, so im simply basing my highest available settings 704x400 @ 3000kbps (again bitrate im sure isnt the limiter here)

So please devs shed some light on the specs allowed, and perhaps why 720p live streaming isnt possible when on demand functions perfectly fine up to 1080p with my current setup. I would like to be able to provide a 1024x576 @ 3000 kbps which is seriously nice quality for a live stream.

** Also i would like to add for those of you who tried 10 seconds x 8 segments rolling window, let me further recommend 25 seconds x 8 segments, in my experience the cheapest dedicated server hosting is in europe. and the latency and routing are generally a problem for some people in usa that might want to save some money but at the same time cover europe and asia with there services, and that lower setting, is generally going to be the cause of it, im sure some will argue but i tested vigorously for a very long time here now, and 25000 miliseconds x 8 , has sincerely not buffered coming from Gbit in .NL to East Coast USA here to my Roku, so this does indeed mean international solutions are possible for HLS without the use of an expensive CDN, i was able to get Adobe Interactive Media Server 4.5.x working very well the built in apache 2.2 hosts the mp4 / xml files for my on demand perfectly even up to 1080p from webroot folder, and otherwise that setup will host HLS you dont need to pay insane prices for a CDN company to do something you can do yourself. **

claudioc, our setup is similar where our stream is coming from Asia with high latency. Are you using Wowza for your live streaming?
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

When using 25 second segments, you are trading off startup time and quick bitrate switches for more tolerance to variance in network bitrate and longer round trip times.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
JasonH
Visitor

HLS Backup Stream Loading Prior to Primary Stream:
I have a question about the HLS backups streams and how Roku handles the playback of the primary and backup streams. With our configuration we are seeing Roku loading the backup stream first and then pretty quickly adapting and in the process switching to the primary stream. But our backup stream is not in sync with the primary stream so the switch between primary and backup is pretty disorientating.

Couple of questions:

1. Why does Roku load and playback the backup stream at all, as opposed to working with the primary streams unless it encounters a problem?
2. Is it uncommon or common to have the primary and backup streams out of sync (as we do in our configuration)?

Thank you,
JasonH
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"JasonH" wrote:
HLS Backup Stream Loading Prior to Primary Stream:
I have a question about the HLS backups streams and how Roku handles the playback of the primary and backup streams. With our configuration we are seeing Roku loading the backup stream first and then pretty quickly adapting and in the process switching to the primary stream. But our backup stream is not in sync with the primary stream so the switch between primary and backup is pretty disorientating.

Couple of questions:

1. Why does Roku load and playback the backup stream at all, as opposed to working with the primary streams unless it encounters a problem?
2. Is it uncommon or common to have the primary and backup streams out of sync (as we do in our configuration)?

Thank you,
JasonH

Someone at Roku will need to confirm, but I don't think the Roku supports backup streams. In my (limited) experience with those playlists that have backup streams (two or more streams with the same bitrate), the Roku tends to either pick one randomly, or uses the first in the list. I'm not sure which, but it seemed like the former, as you'd expect it to stick with the first for every bitrate otherwise.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

If you have to have a backup stream, you'll need to build a mechanism to launch video playback of the backup if the initial playback fails. The backup stream should not be in the same playlist file as the primary stream. Instead, you would listen for a playback failure event and then trigger a new video playback function with the backup stream instead of the primary. You probably would want to exit playback altogether if the backup fails.

- Joel
0 Kudos