Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmlzootown
Binge Watcher

HLS Live Stream Stuttering/Tearing/Tiling/Freezing

Jump to solution

Greetings All,

I'm having issues playing any live HLS streams as of late (the last 1-2 weeks) (a pre-recorded video works just fine). After around 10-30 seconds into the stream, I experience stuttering/visual artifacts (video example)

The issue occurs whether I attempt to play the stream in my own channel, or via the stream tester, but does not occur, however, if I load/play the m3u8 playlist via VLC/tvOS. I've tested it both with Amazon's live stream, and with multiple Twitch streams, and all eventually end up like the example video above.

videoContent = createObject("roSGNode", "ContentNode")
  videoContent.url = url
  videoContent.StreamFormat = "hls"
  videoContent.PlayStart = 999999999
  videoContent.live = true

This is the bit of code I've been using to set the roVideoPlayer's content successfully up until recently, so I'm not sure as to what's suddenly gone wrong. I've tested it by not setting PlayStart, live, etc., to no avail.

I'm currently daily-driving a Roku Ultra (4660X, 9.2.0 build 4807-46) for dev/general use, but I'm getting reports from at least one other user that is also experiencing the above stuttering/tearing/tiling. The device is connected via ethernet, and has no issues whatsoever with other streams/videos (that aren't live).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! If you need any more info, let me know.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bmlzootown
Binge Watcher

Re: HLS Live Stream Stuttering/Tearing/Tiling/Freezing

Jump to solution

Update: It doesn't seem to be an issue right now. I'm not sure as to what has changed, as everything on my end is the same. Might have been a server-side issue, may have been ISP-related.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
bmlzootown
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Bump

0 Kudos
bmlzootown
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Bump Bump

0 Kudos
bmlzootown
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Bump?

0 Kudos
bmlzootown
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Update: It doesn't seem to be an issue right now. I'm not sure as to what has changed, as everything on my end is the same. Might have been a server-side issue, may have been ISP-related.

0 Kudos