Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeflateau
Visitor

HLS Live Playlists Problem

The Roku implementation of HLS seems to always start at the first segment of a playlist.

This is fine for VOD or Sliding Window Live playlists, but for Full Event Live DVR playlists (lacking EXT-X-ENDLIST, and having either no EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE, or an EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE = 0) that is not correct behavior.

Full-event Live playlists should start 3-5 segments from "Live". Is there a workaround for this outside of manually seeking to total duration - (segment duration * 3)?
Company: SIDEARM Sports
Apps: The American Digital Network, OVC Digital Network
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: HLS Live Playlists Problem

Set the PlayStart value to a high number. I usually use the current time in seconds.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
joeflateau
Visitor

Will any value greater than the current duration work? Or is "right now" in seconds important? I don't use EXT-X-PROGRAM-DATE-TIME
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"joeflateau" wrote:
Will any value greater than the current duration work? Or is "right now" in seconds important? I don't use EXT-X-PROGRAM-DATE-TIME

Any number higher than the current duration should work. Using the current time just ensures that it's definitely set high enough.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
joeflateau
Visitor

I see, I see. Thank you for the help!
0 Kudos

Setting PlayStart on the video object to -1 is even easier and also did the trick for me.
0 Kudos
joeflateau
Visitor

Nice solution! I was about to set it to Int's Max Value
0 Kudos