Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELLO WORLD ISSUES

I have no idea what is wrong but I can't get this "Hello World" app to work.

I continue to get the "Install Failure: No manifest. Invalid package." error.

My folders/files are in the right spot and I DO have a manifest file.

My real issue I guess is I don't know how to save a manifest file CORRECTLY?

I'm using TextEdit. Saved the manifest file with NO EXTENSION. Saved it with ASCII encoding.

Zipped the directory folder but it just won't work for me. All the examples load just fine.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: HELLO WORLD ISSUES

If you've been following the instructions for the Hello World app in section 7.3 of the Developer Guide, then there's one little detail they forgot to mention: The manifest file must have a blank line (or a comment) at the end, as it ignores lines that don't end in a linefeed character.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

A missing newline wouldn't cause the "no manifest" error message. My guess based on the fact that the OP claimed to have "zipped the directory folder" is that he did just that, rather than zipping the contents of the folder.

--Mark
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

Exactly what I did my very first upload 🙂
0 Kudos

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! That should definitely read more clearly in the directions.

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
A missing newline wouldn't cause the "no manifest" error message. My guess based on the fact that the OP claimed to have "zipped the directory folder" is that he did just that, rather than zipping the contents of the folder.

--Mark
0 Kudos