Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
merthin
Visitor

Gray borders appearing at roGridScreen while on HD

Hi All,
I'm working on a channel using the windows that come with the SDK and I'm having an issue with the roGridScreen.
When the channel is on HD what seemed the border of the SD screen gets visible breaking the light background.
I have upload a picture here:

http://imgur.com/KMmIJWa

The background is the grayscale #f2f2f2.

Have any of you have found this issue before?

thanks
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Gray borders appearing at roGridScreen while on HD

That's nothing to do with the SD screen. It's because there's a viewport cut into the graphics plane for the grid itself. At the edge of that viewport, you'll sometimes get a line like you're seeing (I think it depends on the color you choose) where the grid element, which is on the video plane, transitions to the graphics plane. It falls outside of the safe zones, though, so it's likely to be cut off by the overscan on most televisions. You'll notice, as you scroll left and right that line is also where the posters get clipped.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
merthin
Visitor

Thanks for the reply! You are right, double checking it, in my TV it doesn't appear on 720p, just 1080p.
I tried several grayscales on the background and for the line to dissapear (or get close to unnoticeable) it has to be pretty close to
#000.

Will be great if someone from the staff chime in and comment on the status of this issue. It will look as a bug in some TVs.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I get a horizontal line right around the 138 pixel mark (the limit for the overhang) on 1080p but not 720p, when the overhang and the bkgrnd were the same color. As you say the solution is to make the bkrnd color black, which i didn't consider much of a solution. The fact that you can't theme the text in the one configuration where text can appear under the thumbs tells me Roku would like you to have a very dark background on your grid.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos