Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HungryCoder
Binge Watcher

SDK1 Screensaver Appears as Channel when Installed From Channel Store

Jump to solution

I am having a problem with a SDK1 (roScreen) standalone screensaver.  During development, the screensaver would sideload with no issues.  When installed from the channel store (either production or beta version), the screensaver appears as a channel as well.  Clicking on the 'channel' with the remote causes the screen to go black and the only way out of it is to click HOME button.

When the Home screen returns, the channel icon is gone.  The screensaver is always available through Settings/Theme/Screensavers...

Some code snippets:

manifest:

screensaver_title=MyScreensaver
screensaver_private=0
major_version=1
minor_version=2
build_version=00017

main.brs

Function RunScreenSaver( params As Object ) As Object
   screensaverMain()
End Function

sub screensaverMain()

Is there any requirement that I am missing?  It is possible that the problem is how I upload it to the channel store, but it is set as a screensaver there, but I would not rule that out.  Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
necrotek
Roku Guru

Re: SDK1 Screensaver Appears as Channel when Installed From Channel Store

Jump to solution

In your manifest add this property 

hiddenintegerThe hidden property tells the Roku OS to not display the app on the home screen. Hidden apps can still be launched over the network via the External Control API.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/getting-started/architecture/channel-manifest.md

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
necrotek
Roku Guru

Re: SDK1 Screensaver Appears as Channel when Installed From Channel Store

Jump to solution

In your manifest add this property 

hiddenintegerThe hidden property tells the Roku OS to not display the app on the home screen. Hidden apps can still be launched over the network via the External Control API.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/getting-started/architecture/channel-manifest.md

0 Kudos
HungryCoder
Binge Watcher

SDK1 Screensaver Appears as Channel when Installed From Channel Store

Jump to solution

Thank you @necrotek.  Your solution worked perfectly.  Tested it with a beta channel upload.

Why hidden=1 is not needed when sideloading screensavers I don't know, but I will make a note to include it in all screensavers from now on.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos