Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmachine
Visitor

Go Daddy Root Cert missing on Roku XD (Roku 1)

It took me a while to figure out why SSL connections were failing on the Roku 1 but working fine on the Roku 2, Roku 3, etc.

I eventually had a look at this file both on the Roku 1 and Roku 2:

common:/certs/ca-bundle.crt

This is the file that I was using to set my certificate file with this command:

object.SetCertificatesFile("common:/certs/ca-bundle.crt")

To my surprise, the ca-bundle.crt file on the Roku 1 is NOT the same as the file with the same name on the Roku 2. And the important difference for me is it was missing the "Go Daddy Root Certificate Authority - G2" but this is included in the file on newer Roku models.

The solution was to download the ca-bundle.crt file from the Roku 2 (which I named /certs/roku-common-certs.pem) and include this in my package and then refer to that file in my SetCertificatesFile command. So my new command refers to that local file like this:

obj.SetCertificatesFile("pkg:/certs/roku-common-certs.pem")

Anyway, just wanted to post this in case anyone else was having a similar issue. It would be awesome if Roku could update the common:/certs/ca-bundle.crt file on the Roku 1 players. The Go Daddy certificate we're using I've got to believe is pretty common.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Go Daddy Root Cert missing on Roku XD (Roku 1)

Or you could just download the certificates from GoDaddy -
https://certs.godaddy.com/repository
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

thank you, @tmachine - that's useful info.
Legacy Rokus (model < 2200) haven't seen much love in years.
FYI - in case you haven't heard, apparently there was email recently to selected few that the Co. will be actively discontinuing the fw3 devices.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"tmachine" wrote:
The solution was to download the ca-bundle.crt file from the Roku 2

It's essentially just a text file, so I'm guessing you just printed it to the debug console, but if you actually downloaded it, I'd be interested in knowing how you did that.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos