Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Getting firmware version via ECP?

I am sure this has been asked before but for the life of me i cannot find "the" original request, so i am starting a new thread. To state the problem/request:
Having an external app that uses ECP to control Roku player, how can it fetch what's the current "Roku OS" version?

Here are some topics from 2012-2015 asking about it:

I think there are more because i seem to vaguely remember RokuMarkn answering sometime, somewhere, something to the line of "you don't need that" because presumably there is no difference in how ECP behaves. Except, there is - for example how fw7 broke access to channel "Details" screen since November viewtopic.php?f=34&t=90823
(previous cases viewtopic.php?f=34&t=63977&p=411730#p411385 and viewtopic.php?f=34&t=63977#p411730).

There was an undocumented way to get the version from UPnP response before but that changed since changes for DIAL. Also from what i remember from years ago, the "Roku by Roku" mobile app was getting the player firmware version by some non-ECP way, another argument that it is needed to external apps. And it's not that said info is a secret, it is available to internal apps via roDeviceInfo
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Getting firmware version via ECP?

I bumped this request for internal review.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Getting firmware version via ECP?

thank you, sir! appendages crossed
0 Kudos