Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greno
Visitor

GetInfo() and external control Input command

Hi all. I'm the developer of the Roku Remote app for Android, and have been working with the external controls commands for a while. But now I'm jumping into channel development and could use some help.

Basically, I want to create a very simple channel that accepts URLs passed to it from my app using external control. For example, I'd like to send something like:
http://192.168.1.5:8060/input?url=http://www.someserver.com/somemusicfile.mp3

The channel should accept the input argument "url" and use the value to start playback. This should be possible from the external controls document:

input enables a developer to send custom events to their Brightscript application. It takes a user defined list of name-value pairs sent as query string uri parameters. The external control server places these name-value pairs into a BrightScript associative array and passes them directly through to the currently executing channel script via a Message Port attached to a created roInput object. Please refer to Section 3.1 below for more detailed recommendations on how to pass your data. Messages of type roInputEvent have a GetInfo() method that will obtain the associative array. The arguments must be URL-encoded. This command is sent via a POST with no body.
Example: POST /input?acceleration.x=0.0&acceleration.y=0.0&acceleration.z=9.8

I do have the audioapp sample working, so I'm really just looking at how to be notified that the message was received and to pull the URL value from the message.

I also see the launchparams example, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to send the URLs while the channel is running, not at startup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Gregg Reno
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: GetInfo() and external control Input command

You'll need to look into the sockets support in the 3.0 SDK.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

I haven't played with this much at all yet, but you would do something along these lines...

port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
input = CreateObject("roInput")
input.SetMessagePort(port)

while true
msg = Wait(0, port)
params = msg.GetInfo()

' do something useful with the data here
end while

And send it an event from outside like this...

curl -d "" "http://[roku_ip]:8060/input?text=hello"
0 Kudos
greno
Visitor

Very cool - thanks Chris. I'll give that a try.
0 Kudos
greno
Visitor

OK, I have this sort of working. Now I'm stuck on understating how these roInput events are queued up.

I'm using the audioapp example as a starting point. Here is what I want:
- Screen A = Main roPosterScreen screen
- Screen B = roAudioPlayer screen
- Screen C = not sure yet

If I get any external command (roInput), it shouldn't matter where in the channel I am - i want it to go to the appropriate screen and process it. I've added roInput to the message loop of all the screens so they can all receive roInput events. If I get external message type "B", it should play in Screen B. If I get message type "C", it should play in Screen C.

Here is what is working:
- Start at Screen A
- Send external command type "B"
- Screen B is displayed and starts playing the delivered media from passed URL
- Send another external command type "B"
- Screen B knows to stay on same screen, stop playing old content, start playing new content from message B

This works fine, but at this point if I hit the up/back key, Screen A now processes my second external command type "B", even though screen B already processed it. The effect is it launches screen B again and plays the content again from the second external command.

So the question is, how can I make sure only one of these external messages is processed instead of both screen A and B message loops getting it?

This also raises another question about how I should handle message type "C" while in screen B? Should it just return to Screen A and let it handle it, or should it launch screen C? And when in screen C, I want the up/return key to go to the top level Screen A, and not retain a history of it's path through screen B.

Hope that makes sense! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Gregg
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Yeah, this appears to be a bug in the RoInput event as far as I can tell, haven't yet come up with a work around. I tried to "eat" the event by sticking another wait in the path, but it doesn't work. The launch events can wind up in roinput event when you return from a subroutine. Very perplexing. We encountered this while creating our Android-Roku hack for MusicHackDay San Francisco. Kind of screwed up the very last part of our demo where we tried to launch another module and the same song kept playing!

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Ran into this thread while looking for documentation on roInput. After some meditation - while there is not enough info in problem description to be 100% certain - i think i understand what was happening in @greno/@jbrave's cases:

It must be that there were 2 roInput objects created in 2 different places (presumably with different ports) - and when /input arrives, both get the same event posted to them. And since A and B do not process their queues in sync, long time may pass till B is closed and the loop of A is ran - just to discover there is another /input copy waiting there, so it seems to be repeating.

This is not necessarily a bug of how the firmware works - nor having >1 roInput is necessarily a mistake. There might be a corner case in which this is useful, something like 2 different components wanting to get notified independently of the same /input. It may also be the case that the behavior has changed since 2011 (say making the factory createObject("roInput") always return the same singleton - with the consequence that screen A will stop receiving roInputEvents after B does setPort) - no idea, since there is still no documentation 😛

A reasonable work-around for Greno's case (given a time machine) would be to use only 1 global roInput (with 1 own port) and each screen's A, B, C's event loop to also check roInput's port on the side.
0 Kudos