Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jburfield
Visitor

Full Description

Greetings everyone! Bear with me because I am new to this, I have got my channel almost complete, however I do have a couple questions:

1) When I click on a video, the description is cut short (...) -- is there a way to make the full description show up? I've seen this done in other channels, just wondering where/how the code gets changed.

2) In one category, I only have one category leaf, is there a way to still show the filter banner even though there is just one category leaf?

3) Is there a way to remove the runtime from a video description? I have tried to remove the code but it just says "0m".

Thanks guys! Have a great evening!!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
agmark
Visitor

Re: Full Description

Not sure about 1 or 2. I know the description is definately limited (p44), but it's possible that different poster styles could have an effect. Not sure about that tho.

3: The Length is still being set somewhere. Page 16 of the ComponentReference indicates that a length set to 0 will display as 0m whereas if a length not set will not display. That's been my experience. I'm not familiar enough with the videoplayer app to point out where to look, but if must be setting Length = 0 and that won't hide it.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You need to remove the length entry completely from the associative array if you don't want it to show up. Try item.Delete("length").

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jburfield
Visitor

Alright, thanks guys! I got rid of the runtime - any ideas on 1 & 2?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
You need to remove the length entry completely from the associative array if you don't want it to show up. Try item.Delete("length").

-JT

I can't test it at the moment, but I think setting it to invalid has the same effect.
"jburfield" wrote:
Alright, thanks guys! I got rid of the runtime - any ideas on 1 & 2?

1. Play around with the different SetDescriptionStyle() values on the roSpringboard. One of them might provide you with more room for your description.
2. If I recall correctly, this was actually a change they made by popular request in the latest SDK. It used to always show the filter. If you can get a hold of an earlier SDK, you might be able to review its code.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos