Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Free app for Roku dev's

Hi Brian - any updates?  I had to go back to other applications due to inability to copy text from debugger and inability to view debugger after reboot 😞
If you need a laptop to get there I'd be glad to lend you one 🙂
aspiring
0 Kudos
brianstegman
Streaming Star

I just posted 1.4.1.  Try it out and let me know how it goes.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"brianstegman" wrote:
I just posted 1.4.1.  Try it out and let me know how it goes.

Thanks Brian!
Here's what I see on Windows 10 w 1.4.1:
Keyboard remote commands working again, yay!
highlight -> right click : Does nothing
Edit -> copy : Does not work
ctrl + C : works (copies highlighted text) and does not break the running sideloaded app, yay!

After device reboot due to some SG problem in our app, can no longer scroll up in the debugger nor copy visible output (Connection Problem! message overlays window)

Debugger wish List:
* If device reboots, debugger output could still be scrolled back and copied from.
* Ability to pause/ restart debugger from displaying further output, to allow analysis and text copying of a specific section while the app continues running and spewing output.
* Ability to throw a visual break (horizontal bar) at the current point (or any point?) in the debugger.

Nice work 🙂
hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving
aspiring
0 Kudos
brianstegman
Streaming Star

I just released 1.5.0 and you can get it at http://www.stegmancompany.com/#RokuDashboard

• Added ability to open projects in file explorer

• Added build setting to clear console or show visual marker on build/deploy

• Added right click copy

• Added ability to enable/disable auto scroll in debug console

• Added ability to access console when a connection is lost

• Added ability to manually add a maker in the debug console

• Profiling, One click enable/disable

• Profiling, Easy download of profiling file from your Roku

• Profiling, Link to docs

• Profiling, Link to Roku analysis tool
0 Kudos
brianstegman
Streaming Star

I just released 1.6.0 and you can get it at http://www.stegmancompany.com/#RokuDashboard

• Added ability to validate a project (checks for things like stop commands, deprecated or missing manifest attributes etc)

• Added build setting to remove comments

I've started working on a testing screen that will include both continuous integration and what I'm calling a test runner.

hope everyone is enjoying the app and feel free to leave feedback on this thread!
0 Kudos
rymawby
Binge Watcher

Hi Brian,

I've just got around to testing the app out and I just wanted to say awesome work, thanks!
0 Kudos
brianstegman
Streaming Star

Thank you!  I appreciate the feedback.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

OK not to be nitpicky, because, yes this app is awesome and I keep it open all the time!

* in the debugger when press up to get to the last command, would be convenient to have the cursor at the end instead of beginning;
* after entering command in debugger, would be convenient to see the entered command on screen preceding the output, so that after several commands have been entered, can easily scroll back and see what command triggered what output;
* the output of the "mark" tool could probably be simplified to just the space and bar without the ## Mark stuff.. or maybe a way to customize what the mark outputs? (trivial stuff really, I love the "mark" tool!);
* the daily nag to download the new version is annoying!  As I have this installed on 3 or 4 PCs now, they're not all updated.  But I guess annoying is the intention of the "nag" feature...
aspiring
0 Kudos
brianstegman
Streaming Star

I love all feedback so thank you!  I will add these to the list.  The auto updating is something I've had on my list for a while now.  I just need to sit down and figure it out and truthfully I didn't have enough users before to warrant worrying about it.  However, the app is gaining users so I will bump this up on the list.  On the topic of users.  I've reached out to Roku several times about how to best get the word out and I haven't received a response from them at all with the exception of Joel.  So if you like what I'm doing feel free to help me get the word out 🙂 🙂

I have a lot of great things coming.  Thanks for all the feedback!
0 Kudos
brianstegman
Streaming Star

I just released version 2.0.0 which includes the auto updating and the ability to send text to your device.  

You can download it at http://www.stegmancompany.com#RokuDashboard

Roku is making some ground with their tools (https://devtools.web.roku.com) so I'm not sure how much more I will continue to work on this app.

Enjoy!
0 Kudos