Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t0lkman
Visitor

Few questions from newbie Roku developer

I'm learning Roku chanel development using "videplayer" example of the SDK, I've compiled few questions.

1) In the XML:
1.1) what does <runtime> tag stand for?
1.2) can I omit streambitrate tag? I don't know the bitrate upfront from the HLS
1.3) even though I used <live>true</live> I'm still getting "resumg watching" option when I navigate the channel

2) In the UI
2.1) When I use remote images for the channel thumbnails the scrolling (switching) is very slow, is it possible to cache remote images?
2.2) Is there anyway to add option to ask for a password for particular channels?
2.3) the image resolutions in the sample app differ from the guidelines

Thanks for any answers
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Few questions from newbie Roku developer

1) In the XML:
1.1) what does <runtime> tag stand for?

This is a display field for how long the video will be, to be displayed on an roSpringboardScreen

1.2) can I omit streambitrate tag? I don't know the bitrate upfront from the HLS

You can set object StreamBitrates=[0] or just not set it.

1.3) even though I used <live>true</live> I'm still getting "resumg watching" option when I navigate the channel

This is your Springboard Screen, you will need some logic to not show this, so for example:

Function refreshShowDetail(screen As Object, showList As Object, showIndex as Integer) As Integer

if validateParam(screen, "roSpringboardScreen", "refreshShowDetail") = false return -1
if validateParam(showList, "roArray", "refreshShowDetail") = false return -1

show = showList[showIndex]

screen.ClearButtons()

if showlist[showindex].live="true"
screen.addbutton(2,"Play")
else
if regread(show.contentid) <> invalid and regread(show.contentid).toint() >=30 then
screen.AddButton(1, "Resume playing")
screen.AddButton(2, "Play from beginning")
else
screen.addbutton(2,"Play")
end if
end if
screen.SetContent(show)
screen.Show()

End Function

2) In the UI
2.1) When I use remote images for the channel thumbnails the scrolling (switching) is very slow, is it possible to cache remote images?

Typically this means you are using images significantly larger than those specified here

Create smaller thumbnails or check if your server supports dynamic resizing of images. You may need to use a separate server to host the images if you are using an OVP that does not support smaller thumbnail sizes (Limelight for example).

2.2) Is there anyway to add option to ask for a password for particular channels?

roKeyboardScreen would be the best, of course you need to ensure to show the user how to obtain a password before you ask then.

2.3) the image resolutions in the sample app differ from the guidelines

Probably they do, the sample app is very old. The guidelines are close enough but might not be 100% accurate, so you may need to experiment a little bit.

- Joel
0 Kudos