Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Feature Request: Ability to run without live Internet

There are times when it would be very convenient to be able to run the Roku DVP without a live Internet connection.
Case in point:
- Proof of concept demonstration.
- All data for the demo lives on a virtual machine on a laptop.
- Laptop and Roku are connected via LAN.
- Roku can get address from LAN via DHCP.

I understand requiring a live Internet connection for normal operation.
It makes sense to have it available most of the time, as a matter of fact.
It's just that there are times when it would be very convenient to be able run without it.

Naturally, such a configuration would result in some limitations:
- Channel Store would be unavailable
- All network requests off the LAN would fail

In a development/demo environment this would be acceptable since the developer explicitly enabled it.
Note: Such a mode should require that developer mode be enabled as a prerequisite.

Thanks,

Dave
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
kbenson
Visitor

Re: Feature Request: Ability to run with live Internet

The Roku actually runs fine without an internet connection. It does requite an IP address (can be local) for development work, and possibly for initial setup. I've booted my Roku with no network connection and run KidPaint, and I'm fairly certain renojim (and others) have done the same with Video Poker.

You really need something acting as a router. Whether that's your computer or a dedicated device makes no real difference, and whether the router is actually controlling access to the internet makes no difference. What it's really used for is to hand out an IP address using DHCP, so the Roku knows how to access whatever network it's connected to, wireless or ethernet (you probably know all this).

If you are seeing different behavior, possibly you haven't finished initial setup?

Edit:
From the other thread I think I'm seeing your point now. You need it to get an IP for the demo, but there's no internet access and the initial DHCP setup fails. I haven't tested this case so I can't comment on how I've seen it work, but if it indeed will fail getting a DHCP address without internet access, that would be a problem for demo purposes.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature Request: Ability to run with live Internet

You might want to update the subject to "without" instead of "with"...;)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Re: Feature Request: Ability to run without live Internet

Opps :oops:
Thanks for the catch.
Fixed.
0 Kudos
chris0071
Visitor

Wouldn't it make sense to be able to "install" a channel on a USB device and run it from there in the situation described above?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That should be pretty easy to do right now. You'd have a generic app installed on the box similar to a USB media channel, except it would work for code. I'm not sure I see the purpose of this, though. As kbenson said, you don't need an Internet connection once the box finishes its initial setup and you don't need any connection at all for something like Video Poker. If you want it access something on a LAN without Internet access you will need a DHCP server.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos