Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

FInd box on LAN

I want to write a roku function that will find a device on my LAN. It's a RaspberryPi,  which interestingly has the same first-half of the MAC address as all other pi's -B8:27:EB.
I haven't worked with these parts of the SDK, so I'm looking for a basic description of the components needed to do that. Thanks.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
37 REPLIES 37
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: FInd box on LAN

I think you'll need to know its IP address.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Bummer. How does a media player find a server? The pi is setup as a webserver. The Roku is set up to enter the I.P. manually now. Sure would be nice...
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

If you install some kind of UPnP software on the Pi that can respond to SSDP M-SEARCH requests, then I can post some code I have that discovers the IP addresses of other Rokus on the network that can easily be adapted to find your Pi(s) on the network.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Thank you. I'll look into making that happen and get back. Pi-world is pretty big, there must be something out there.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

even easier - tell your router to always give the same IP to that MAC address, a feature often called "DHCP reservations"
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
even easier - tell your router to always give the same IP to that MAC address, a feature often called "DHCP reservations"

Yes, well I do that at home, I want to make it more portable.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
I want to write a roku function that will find a device on my LAN. It's a RaspberryPi,  which interestingly has the same first-half of the MAC address as all other pi's -B8:27:EB.

This will let you know why https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_addre ... ss_details
Don't think you can use it though, there is no B/S API to query ARP cache.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Yes, well I do that at home, I want to make it more portable.

What's the reason to want to know RasPi's IP from a Roku - are there particular services running on it?
If so, you might be able to discover that in a hacky way - say if there is web server, you can have some code that scans the network for your guy on port 80, knowing what to expect there.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

As was inevitable, I've built a thing that is too complex, uses too much bandwidth, and is too artsy to be a screensaver so I've decided it's an installation. The Pi is a web server, holds all the files and does Imagemagick processing. So anything I can do to make it slicker while demonstrating it seems worth the effort. I think I will try @belltown 's way first, but what you describe sounds like second choice for sure, If I get there I'll ask again about how I might go about that.

Thanks both of you for answering, I appreciate it.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos