Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arudzki
Visitor

Extreme Noob question regarding capabilities

All,

First, I am really new here with development for the Roku, but I have some programming experience, so I'm looking at tackling a channel. Is it possible to create a slideshow with individual slides that contain text and images (and maybe video) and just have them cycle endlessly with some kind of timing? I'm thinking of those TVs in the lobbies of buildings that cycle through event slides or videos of what a company develops or new things it is announcing... Is that possible?

oh, and how hard (relatively) is that to do?

Thanks!!

Tony
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Extreme Noob question regarding capabilities

roSlideshow can do that minus the video. What's easy for us might not be easy for you. You basically populate your slideshow graphics, your overlay text, and set the interval and it does everything else.
0 Kudos
arudzki
Visitor

That sounds great.

But could I write a script that incorporates the slideshow and once it completes, show some videos, and then start over? I'm thinking of an overall presentation thing where it might be:

1) slideshow
2) short videos
3) more slides (different than #1)
4) some animation
5) more short videos
6) GOTO #1

Thanks again. I appreciate it!

Tony
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You might, if you're tracking how much time has passed for the slideshow.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

I would, try to figure out how to do it with roImageCanvas, instead. A bit trickier, just because imagecanvas is kinda weird, but ultimately you can do it pretty much exactly the way you want it.

Also, don't use goto unless you have no choice, instead, use a while loop

while true

...do stuff
if stuff=done then exit while

end while
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos