Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: External Control of Netflix channel?

"gonzotek" wrote:

"EnTerr" wrote:
Personally, I would like to know myself what the concern is, yes. But there are others that impress it is an issue, random URL here: http://www.auditmypc.com/internal-ip-address.asp

I don't see much relevancy in that page, with regard to the issues present to Roku in the context of this discussion. Roku units on a local network broadcast their addesses. They respond to any command from any host, without regard to authentication, local or remote connection, or previous session activity. They're inherently insecure in this regard and my proposal that Roku provide a secured api for access to the local ips(versus catching the ssdp broadcast) does nothing to make that worse.
ps. Is there a javascript to discover and control my iPod Touch?

Probably not, as Apple hasn't published a protocol for it. Being that Roku HAS published one, and has already made certain choices about security vs. usability, I don't see why we can't discuss further improvements to it.

Aha! So you do recognize that some line had to be drawn in regards of security and that has been in clearly separating to private, trusted network and public, untrusted one. So you should realize as well that you are calling to "pierce the veil" of that, bluring the demarcation and involve Roku in said crossing. My limited observations on corporate CYA say it ain't gonna happen.

You know, it would have been so easy if SOHO routers bothered after providing DHCP to register the host in dynamic DNS, since they play DNS proxy anyway - and answer unqualified host names first from that cache - so you know you can simply address the first of the players as say "http://RokuPlayer1:8060/" and so on. But they don't - or at least my Linksys does not. (And if they did, then the N-th player registering on the subnet can try first to ping RokuPlayerN first and then register if available)
0 Kudos
whaleface
Visitor

lucasgonze, did you ever get a chance to try again with the new version I uploaded? and/or with hard-coding the IP? I'm curious to know if you got it working or if there's anything else I can try. chrome's javascript console would be another place to look because some kinds of errors would show up there.

personally I don't think it's too much of an issue for users to enter the IP. roku makes it pretty easy to find. it's more of a hassle than not having to do it of course.
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

whaleface, I now have it working with no modifications. The problem must have been a user error. I have have been on the wrong subnet, had the Roku IP wrong, etc.
0 Kudos
whaleface
Visitor

"lucasgonze" wrote:
whaleface, I now have it working with no modifications. The problem must have been a user error. I have have been on the wrong subnet, had the Roku IP wrong, etc.

oh, great. do you mean you didn't even have to install the second one (i.e. in the extension page it says version 0.0.1, not 0.0.2)? that would be cool because it would mean I can remove the "this extension has access to all of your data" permissions. but either way I'm glad it works!
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

0.0.1 is the version, that's right.

BTW I'll be at Music Hack Day in New York this weekend with some Rokus and free MOG subs for hackers.
0 Kudos
whaleface
Visitor

"lucasgonze" wrote:
0.0.1 is the version, that's right.

BTW I'll be at Music Hack Day in New York this weekend with some Rokus and free MOG subs for hackers.

very nice, I'm glad that works. music hack day looks cool, I hadn't heard of that before.
0 Kudos
whaleface
Visitor

lucasgonze, it's been a while, any updates related to this on the mog channel? I have to say that since I installed the extension, I have used it on a daily basis and I hardly ever use the roku remote for mog anymore. I also have a little more free time these days so I might be inclined to polish it a little for release if the ECP changes made it to the main channel (or did they make it there and I never noticed?). not that I have any idea of how many people use mog on a roku and also have google chrome handy, but I'm sure there's at least a few. 🙂
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

Hi whaleface,

We have done a push to the main channel that contains the ECP support.

I'm really interested to learn about how addictive the web-based interface has been for you. I haven't personally been using it regularly even though my laptop is usually right there when I'm using MOG on Roku. I'll try to get in the habit and see how it feels.
0 Kudos
whaleface
Visitor

oh, that's great that you guys released it. sorry for not noticing, I've been using the beta you set up. 🙂 can you give me the official mog channel's app id so I can set it up? I'm not sure how to find it and I just have the id for the beta channel.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"whaleface" wrote:
oh, that's great that you guys released it. sorry for not noticing, I've been using the beta you set up. 🙂 can you give me the official mog channel's app id so I can set it up? I'm not sure how to find it and I just have the id for the beta channel.
I'm sure lucasgonze will chime in with his, but you can use the apps query to get the ids of any channels you have installed, for instance on my dev box:
GET http://rokuip:8060/query/apps
Response:
<apps>
<app id="5127" version="1.0.9">Roku Spotlight</app>
<app id="11" version="2.1.21">Roku Channel Store</app>
<app id="12" version="2.3.20">Netflix</app>
<app id="1453_c" version="1.1.100925">TuneIn Radio</app>
<app id="28" version="1.0.22">Pandora</app>
<app id="2049" version="1.82.0">MOG music</app>
<app id="13" version="2.0.0">Amazon Instant Video</app>
<app id="2285" version="1.9.1">Hulu Plus</app>
<app id="2267" version="1.1.0">HGTV</app>
<app id="1152_1" version="0.0.0">TED Talks HD</app>
<app id="1968" version="1.0.101028">Flixster</app>
<app id="45" version="1.5.0">Revision3</app>
<app id="1489_6" version="1.3.21">YouTube</app>
<app id="199" version="1.1.110207">The TWiT Netcast Network</app>
<app id="1980" version="1.1.100907">Vimeo</app>
<app id="1997" version="1.1.8">Chow</app>
<app id="1418_0" version="1.2.37">Nowhere TV</app>
<app id="1883" version="1.1.1">Picasa Web Albums</app>
<app id="2785" version="1.4.0">iTunes Podcasts</app>
<app id="3032" version="1.3.0">tv.com</app>
<app id="2835_f" version="1.0.110112">Roku USB Media Player</app>
<app id="3261" version="1.0.3">Photo Puzzle</app>
<app id="1616" version="1.0.1">NASA TV</app>
<app id="2016" version="2.0.33">Movies on Demand</app>
<app id="12_3" version="2.3.20">Netflix</app>
<app id="3634" version="1.5.20110413">Instant Watch Browser for Netflix</app>
<app id="dev" version="0.1.1">Remoku</app>
</apps>

And btw, your chrome extension is how I too most frequently interact with MOG on the Roku. 🙂
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos