Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
namlu
Visitor

Enter debug mode command

I'm trying to enter debug mode a Roku app built on a MacBook Pro on the Terminal using debug.sh.

On this page, it says: 
When your application is running, simply press ctrl-c to break into the application and enter debug mode. You will see a "BrightScript Debugger>" prompt, where you can type commands.

While my app is running (log messages scrolling in Terminal), when I do crtl-c, it takes me out of the debug state.  The only way to enter debug mode (besides resulting from an error) is by putting STOP points throughout the code.

Anyone have insight as to why this isn't working?

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... pplication
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Enter debug mode command

"namlu" wrote:
I'm trying to enter debug mode a Roku app built on a MacBook Pro on the Terminal using debug.sh.

What is a "debug.sh"? Sounds like some shell script which gets killed by ctrl-C

You are on Mac, so in Terminal type telnet MY-ROKU-IP 8085 and then ctrl-C there.
0 Kudos
namlu
Visitor

Hi RokuNB,

Yep, you're right, it's a shell script that does the following:

nc -c MY-ROKU-IP 8085

I used nc (netcat) instead of telnet because it's not provided on Mojave OS.

However, the issue is still that when I use ctrl-c while the logs are begin displayed, it'll kill the process rather than enter debug mode.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

They removed telnet from OSX? Ouch.
Try one of these - http://osxdaily.com/2018/07/18/get-telnet-macos/ - i personally would probably just do
brew install telnet
0 Kudos
namlu
Visitor

Thanks RokuNB, but I'm really after a way to go into debug mode while an app is running. Ctrl+c doesn't seem to work...
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

His point is that with a better telnet Ctrl-C might start to work.
0 Kudos
namlu
Visitor

Thanks Komag, I'll try one of the other options.

However, before when I was using Telnet, I had the same issue
0 Kudos