Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axmc
Visitor

Encoding Setting for Sorensen Squeeze

Are there recommended profiles for encoding content for Roku using Sorensen Squeeze ?

Default profiles include MP4 for streaming servers at 1Mbps, 768Kbps, and 512Kbps

1 Mbps : Main Concept 1-pass CBR 1:1 frames Target rate 819Kbps 480x360 keyframe =300 hinted
768Kbps : Main Concept 1-pass CBR 1:1 frames Target rate 659Kbps 320x240 keyframe =300 hinted
512Kbps: Main Concept 1-pass CBR 1:1 frames Target rate 409Kbps 320x240 keyframe =300 hinted

There are also Progressive Streaming profiles for MP4 explicitly 360p and 480p in both 4x3 and 16x9

What's the best place to start ?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SolveLLC
Visitor

Re: Encoding Setting for Sorensen Squeeze

"axmc" wrote:
Are there recommended profiles for encoding content for Roku using Sorensen Squeeze ?

Default profiles include MP4 for streaming servers at 1Mbps, 768Kbps, and 512Kbps

1 Mbps : Main Concept 1-pass CBR 1:1 frames Target rate 819Kbps 480x360 keyframe =300 hinted
768Kbps : Main Concept 1-pass CBR 1:1 frames Target rate 659Kbps 320x240 keyframe =300 hinted
512Kbps: Main Concept 1-pass CBR 1:1 frames Target rate 409Kbps 320x240 keyframe =300 hinted

There are also Progressive Streaming profiles for MP4 explicitly 360p and 480p in both 4x3 and 16x9

What's the best place to start ?

We are seeing issues with the Main Concept encoder when using a GPU engine to encode. If you're not using a GPU, I'd stick with the apple h.264 setting.
0 Kudos
axmc
Visitor

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I was surprised that I could not find mention of Sorensen here and Roku on their forums, so really appreciate the info.

I just got a GT120 NVidia card to add to the MacPro workstation but have not installed it yet. If I understand your reply correctly, with or without the GPU I will be ok if I switch the codec selection and create a custom profile using the Apple H.264 instead of Main Concept, and use the three data rates as reasonable choices for high, medium and low quality encodes.

I assume that if I do that and DO add the GPU that I will get some faster encode times.

Do the Sorensen Squeeze Progressive Streaming profiles have any applicability or are the Streaming Profiles all I need ?

The content is 16x9 SD which I understand in Roku terminology is HD, and a 4x3 version of the same content is termed SD. The MP4 default profiles that they offer for Progressive Streaming are 320p or 480p.

=====
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

"axmc" wrote:
Thanks very much for the quick reply. I was surprised that I could not find mention of Sorensen here and Roku on their forums, so really appreciate the info.

I just got a GT120 NVidia card to add to the MacPro workstation but have not installed it yet. If I understand your reply correctly, with or without the GPU I will be ok if I switch the codec selection and create a custom profile using the Apple H.264 instead of Main Concept, and use the three data rates as reasonable choices for high, medium and low quality encodes.

I assume that if I do that and DO add the GPU that I will get some faster encode times.

Do the Sorensen Squeeze Progressive Streaming profiles have any applicability or are the Streaming Profiles all I need ?

The content is 16x9 SD which I understand in Roku terminology is HD, and a 4x3 version of the same content is termed SD. The MP4 default profiles that they offer for Progressive Streaming are 320p or 480p.

=====

We haven't been able to get anything to work using the Main Concepts encoder with the GPU. GPU encoding is only supported with the Main Concepts encoder. I'm getting a file ready to be sent off to Roku to find out what's going on. With that said, GPU acceleration cuts encode times by 1/3 depending on the Nvidia card used. With enough money you could have 4 nvidia cards in the same machine and cut the encoding time to near nothing. The profile depends on resolution and intended device. For instance, you can't play a 3.1 encoded file on an iphone 3G.. Please refer to the Roku encoding guide for a complete break-down of encoding options.
0 Kudos