Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Enabling developer mode hangs Roku4 @7.0?

This is bizarre but happened for real and i had to power-cycle a Roku4 a few times. Notice the problem persevered past reboot.

Today i trued to enabled dev.mode/side-loading on a Roku4 (7.0.8863 @ 4400) and
  1. When i clicked on "enable" inside the HHHUURLRLR menu, it popped a caution dialog it will restart and after i okay-ed that, it exited to home menu... except everything was frozen. No audio feedback on remote keys, the locate-remote button on player top has no effect either - i ended up yanking the power cable

2. (the matrix, reloaded) After restart, HHHUURLRLR again, tried enable again - this time it showed me the SDK click-through agreement and after okay-ing that, immediately it threw me in home menu, frozen again. Power-cycle rinse & repeat followed

3. (the matrix, revolutions) After restart, HHHUURLRLR again, tried enable again - this time it skipped the legalese page and took me to define a password, after which this time it merrily restarted the player (as expected)

I don't remember ever experiencing that, is this a new development in rOS 7.0?

I am trying to think of what was different this time from all the others and some things i can come up with are:
  • This was a Roku 4

• Dev.mode was never enabled on this particular player before

• This user account has never enabled dev.mode before (player is linked with another user account, not my personal)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Enabling developer mode hangs Roku4 @7.0?

I wonder if it's related to this dev-mode issue: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=512910
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
I wonder if it's related to this dev-mode issue: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=512910

No idea. I just tried what you reported there to cause hanging in 7.0.9037 @3100 and changing password does not hang in 7.0.9044 @4200. So maybe it's a multi-model uhhh, ahh... "behavior" that gets fixed between builds 9037 and 9044 of fw7?

The Roku 4 above was at 8863. Hm, do we even know if build numbers are cross-model comparable?!
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Mine still hangs when trying to change the developer password on 7.0/9044 on my 3100X (Roku 2XS). Looks like different problems on different firmwares/models. I tried your sequence on my device and that worked okay.
0 Kudos