Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malloys
Visitor

Re: Eclipse plugin for Brightscript

"brocker" wrote:
Yeah, that's where I was expecting to see the package, but it's now missing. I noticed that during the re-install, only the package "Basic BrightScript Support" shows up in "Installed Software" of Eclipse. Before there were two packages that installed, the second one called "Advanced BrightScript Support".

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling full, but the second package never gets installed. I only see the "Basic" package, and am unable to create new packages, but Eclipse recognizes the BrightScript syntax however which is great.

Would be nice to be able to create new packages, but small steps I guess!

Thanks
Bud

You should only install 1 of the 2 plugins, not both - they conflict with each other.
The basic plugin only gives you syntax/code coloring, while the advanced gives you syntax/code coloring plus everything else. So, most want the advanced plugin.

And... you should uncheck the "group by category" checkbox in the install software dialog, since the category on the advanced plugin is somehow not currently recognized by Eclipse (and so makes the advanced plugin "invisible" as an install option when the "group by category" checkbox is checked).
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Thanks Malloys,

I guess what I was saying is that the "Advanced" option wasn't even available. I tried on three different machines earlier today, but I suspect it's because I had the "group by category" selected. I just unselected it and reran the install, this time the "Advanced" was there. I can now make projects, whoo hoo!!

Just a question, I had been running both Basic and Advanced on all machines, and never seemed to have an issue. What is the conflict that happens?

Thanks again
Bud
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Out of curiosity, does Eclipse/the Eclipse plugin provide collapsible region functionality?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"brocker" wrote:
Thanks Malloys,

I guess what I was saying is that the "Advanced" option wasn't even available. I tried on three different machines earlier today, but I suspect it's because I had the "group by category" selected. I just unselected it and reran the install, this time the "Advanced" was there. I can now make projects, whoo hoo!!

Just a question, I had been running both Basic and Advanced on all machines, and never seemed to have an issue. What is the conflict that happens?

Thanks again
Bud

If both are installed (again, not good)...
There's class/class path conflicts between the two, so depending on install and environmental conditions, sometimes the code of one plugin will be executed when the other had the intended code-path.
So, odd behavior - as an example - syntax checking may not work in the advanced plugin.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
Out of curiosity, does Eclipse/the Eclipse plugin provide collapsible region functionality?

Yes, that's in there (and referred to as "folding"), but...

Although at the moment, its limited to comment blocks, and the default prefs are not correct.
Currently, you have to manually set the preferences values yourself before you see it in action.

Goto:
Window->Preferences->BrightScript->Editor->Folding
Make sure it's enabled, and that the minimum lines number is greater than 2.

My intention is to add other types of blocks to the folding-capable list: Subs/Functions, If-then-else, assoc array definitions, etc.

Cheers
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"jdtangney" wrote:
"malloys" wrote:
And... you should uncheck the "group by category" checkbox in the install software dialog, since the category on the advanced plugin is somehow not currently recognized by Eclipse (and so makes the advanced plugin "invisible" as an install option when the "group by category" checkbox is checked).

Malloys, the problem is in your update site. Here's a bash script I use to generate the update site for the leJOS Eclipse plugin. It also deploys it directly to my local Tomcat instance, so I can test the install procedure.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, make sure the two features have separate groups!

#!/bin/bash
## Push a complete update site to a local Tomcat install so that you can use a
# URL of the following form within Eclipse:
# http://localhost:8080/update
# The directory that gets pushed to Tomcat's webapps directory is exactly what needs
# to be published on the public web site as the "update site".

# Until we convert this into a grownup Ant script, please modify the
# following variables to match your environment. If you've set these
# in your .profile, you don't need to change it here.
[ -z "$ECLIPSE_HOME" ] && ECLIPSE_HOME=/Applications/helios
[ -z "$CATALINA_HOME" ] && CATALINA_HOME=/usr/share/tomcat6

# Assume that this script is being run from within the workspace
CURRENT_DIR=`dirname "$0"`
[ -z "$WORKSPACE" ] && WORKSPACE=`cd "$CURRENT_DIR/.." ; pwd`

PROJECT=${WORKSPACE}/org.lejos.nxt.ldt.update-site
WEBAPP=${CATALINA_HOME}/webapps/lejos/update

java \
-jar ${ECLIPSE_HOME}/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_*.jar \
-application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.UpdateSitePublisher \
-metadataRepository file:${WEBAPP} \
-metadataRepositoryName "LeJOS Update Site" \
-artifactRepository file:${WEBAPP} \
-artifactRepositoryName "LeJOS Eclipse Plugin" \
-source ${PROJECT} \
-configs gtk.linux.x86 \
-compress \
-publishArtifacts

java \
-jar ${ECLIPSE_HOME}/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_*.jar \
-application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.CategoryPublisher \
-metadataRepository file:${WEBAPP} \
-categoryDefinition file:${PROJECT}/category.xml

cp ${PROJECT}/site.xml ${WEBAPP}

Thanks much, I do appreciate the help/gesture, but that will just automate the problem, not fix it 🙂

I've tracked it down, and...

The feature category issue has to do with an obscure aspect of the PDE builder process and how it decides what goes in the content.xml file (which is inside content.jar), which is apparently what's read by Eclipse to determine the list of categories, feature groups, and plugins for a given update site.

The category contents list in site.xml is/was correct, but a parallel data structure in content.xml is/was not... the latter leaves out the reference to the advanced plugin's feature group.
It turns out the cause is that I didn't have the site update project's project file referencing the advanced plugin's feature group, which in turn wasn't referencing the advanced plugin project.
Those missing project references caused the PDE builder to not include the advanced plugin feature group in the BrightScript category def inside content.xml, despite including it in site.xml and despite all the other files/objects being present in the final update site dir structure. Simply including the feature project reference in the update site project, and then including the plugin project reference in the feature project, fixed the problem.

I should have the results of fix posted to the update site sometime today.

Cheers
0 Kudos
pt1
Visitor

Just installed a new instance of Eclipse 3.6.2 and then installed this plugin... however, I do not see a way to create a new project... When I access New>Project I do not see the options for brightscript. After installing Eclipse, I also installed DLTK 2.0. I used the web site to install this plugin (http://www.domhain.com/eclipse/updates/). Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also,
I'm looking into doing a little more programing for Roku... Will this plugin be free? or will it go as a payed option? Not having a good IDE is currently one of my highest blocking issue with maybe making the full jump into developing for Roku.

Appreciate your feedback.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"pt1" wrote:
Just installed a new instance of Eclipse 3.6.2 and then installed this plugin... however, I do not see a way to create a new project... When I access New>Project I do not see the options for brightscript. After installing Eclipse, I also installed DLTK 2.0. I used the web site to install this plugin (http://www.domhain.com/eclipse/updates/). Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also,
I'm looking into doing a little more programing for Roku... Will this plugin be free? or will it go as a payed option? Not having a good IDE is currently one of my highest blocking issue with maybe making the full jump into developing for Roku.

Appreciate your feedback.

Re: installation issue.
Open the Error Log and Problems views, and see if there are any messages regarding the BrightScript plugin.

Just a guess at this point, but If the error log view or problems view shows anything related to plugin startup/initialization, its likely due to one or more missing dependencies.
Did you select/check the Eclipse option labeled: "Contact all update sites during install to find required software"? (my guess is the answer is 'no').
It's unfortunate, but this option is not selected by default in the default Eclipse install.
Having this option selected will allow Eclipse to automatically download and install all the required dependencies for you.
At present - The dependencies for the BrightScript plugin are DLTK 2.0 and the EMF modeling framework core... but the list may change over time.
So, it's best to have that option checked when installing the plugin (or any other plugin for that matter).
If this appears to be the issue, uninstall the plugin (and DLTK items) and then re-install with the "Contact all update sites during install to find required software" option selected.
Let me know how it goes either way.

Re: price.
Roku has purchased the plugin from me, and has me under contract to continue development of it (which I've been doing over the last few months).
My understanding is that they will soon be releasing the updated beta version, which now has a couple new features, as part of the (free) SDK via their own developers website.

Cheers
0 Kudos
pt1
Visitor

Thank you for your response...

I checked the error and problems view and no error... un-installed and re-installed, insuring that the option you suggested was checked... still was no able to see this plugin... I check that the EMF plugins and Dynamic Languages is installed... I attempted to install the Advanced BrightScript plugin in Eclipse 3.7...

Re: cost
Glad to hear Roku is targeting doing the right thing and provide an IDE for their player's language.

Thanks again for your help.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"pt1" wrote:
Thank you for your response...

I checked the error and problems view and no error... un-installed and re-installed, insuring that the option you suggested was checked... still was no able to see this plugin... I check that the EMF plugins and Dynamic Languages is installed... I attempted to install the Advanced BrightScript plugin in Eclipse 3.7...

Re: cost
Glad to hear Roku is targeting doing the right thing and provide an IDE for their player's language.

Thanks again for your help.

OK, strange that there's no error log entries or problem line items.

A couple of questions:
Which operating system are you running?
Which eclipse base package did you install?
What version of java do you have installed?

Cheers
0 Kudos