Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

(ECP+RokuTV) Support of typing channel# for OTA/Antenna TV?

I was reading threads about RokuTV and notice people are complaining (e.g. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.p ... tcount=135 ) when watching OTA content not being able to directly dial the channel number they want. So, a thought occurred - how about using a remote app (i.e. over ECP) to dial the number? I tried and it does not work. So here is a suggestion:

Extend the "Antenna TV" (tvinput.dtv) app for RokuTV to handle channel number entry over ECP. And if someone wants to shortcut to a favorite channel, they can do so with a smartphone app. Bam.

It's awfully specific but also very simple in scope idea. No need to change the beloved simple Roku remote. No need to change ECP either. Just listen for /input digits (and backspace, maybe) and act as a typical cable box/TV would, almost no change to UI. It's a one man-day of work really.

PS. /me posting as one of the "consumers" of ECP, hence the dev.forum
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: (ECP+RokuTV) Support of typing channel# for OTA/Antenna

Seems like a good idea. I thought not being able to directly tune a channel was a major oversight, but you can press the left arrow button on the remote which brings up a list of all added channels and then you can choose one to go to directly. It's almost as good as directly entering a channel and infinitely quicker than pressing up/down to get there. Still, the idea of ECP support (or telnet "press" command; e.g., press t4.1) is a good idea.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos