Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download or receive the Roku VAST SDK

Where can I get the latest Roku VAST SDK for my channels. I have 2 currently live, and developing a 3rd that I want to test with. Cannot find it anywhere. Thanks.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
LordDewi
Visitor

Re: Download or receive the Roku VAST SDK

I found this thread that has a link to a VAST example created by RokuChris at the end of the thread.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66550&p=428398&hilit=VAST+ads#p428398

That thread is from last year but it seems the sample is from 2013. In the PDF it says it's based on the 2.01 VAST specification. They released the 3.0 specification in 2012. Not sure it makes a difference to you or not. I couldn't find any newer threads linking to a newer example.

As for an SDK, I don't think you are going to find a Roku VAST SDK. VAST is just a specification, not really an SDK. I think the example is the only thing that will come close to what you are looking for.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You're also able to get code samples and VAST support from your advertising partner - if you have one.
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link. Concerning the existence of the Roku VAST SDK. They have it as a requirement in the "Channel QA Checklist v1.13 - Last Updated on 1/17/15" for Ad support.

Section 10: Support for Ads:
10:3 Integration of and support for Roku VAST Ad SDK into channel.

I have found a few articles and post referring to it. But nothing official found.

We are running our own ad server, based upon OpenX. And we have scripted our own VAST3 support for AdPods from the VAST feed. We just need to send it somewhere without reinventing the VAST Roku wheel. Thanks for the help. I will check out the example.
0 Kudos

Bump, Can I get any help from a RokuXXXX person on this. Based upon the Channel QA Checklist v1.13, I would think there has to be something official concerning this. Thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

This is for the current version of the VAST library:
https://roku.box.com/s/twtibp3oqx0a60wavehh

Joel
0 Kudos
veetowner
Visitor

Can the author clarify on the right to use this library.

"To this purpose, this library is designed to facilitate advanced targeting and inventory optimization for any ads served by Roku. Even if all ads are served by a third party ad provider, it is advantageous to fully implement this library should Roku have an advertising agreement with you in the future."

Can anybody use this library to run VAST video ads? Can it be included in the 3rd party library for Channel developer?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Yes, anyone can use this to run ads in their channel, should work with any provider that supports VAST, in addition, it supports the scenario where Roku provides 100% your ads (this scenario is only available to select channels that can deliver more than 1mm ad impressions per month), and the scenario where we take 30% of your total ad slots for running Roku Ads - this will likely become a requirement for all channels that are ad monetized - since almost nobody is able to fill more than 50% of their ad slots, this won't cost you anything.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If you are running your own ad server, with negotiated ads between vendors, how would your own server be unable to fill more than 50% of your ad slots? I mean using a database of ads on your own server, with video clips stored on your own server, and indexed counters to run the ads you want to run how would it miss a number?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

This is for people who are monetizing by using Yume, Vidillion, Doubleclick, LiveRail etc to run ads, where those companies are paying you to run their ads, we have seen very few cases where those companies can consistently deliver inventory all day every day, sometimes they go completely dry of ads to run. That is why we chose this option. For most of the advertising industry, connected TV advertising is still seen as an experimental niche, so they aren't creating a large enough volume of content. This is why you see annoying things like the same ad repeating over and over in a channel.

Custom deals are possible, to take into account the nature of your business model, but a default deal where you click through on our website is where the 30% ads position may come into play.

- Joel
0 Kudos