Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Does game remote have a gyro?

Do game remotes for Roku have a gyroscope?

The only info on what sensors are inside a gaming remote i have seen in a marketing blurb circa 2011. saying there is both an accelerometer and a gyroscope.

I see accelerometer readings are exposed in Marmalade SDK. What about the gyro ones?

PS. On a side note, what are good examples of games using the motion sensor, besides the dearly departed Angry Birds? In the birds, the control of the sling was somewhat wonky and the screen pointer was just awful. I found Wii remote being the same, so things that require "steady hand" of the cursor won't be in the cards - but have there be other apps released for Roku that mage good use of the motion sensor?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
BradC
Channel Surfer

Re: Does game remote have a gyro?

http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/cracking- ... u-2-xs/38/

I don't think there have been any games on the roku that use the accelerometer other than a few mobile phone games, which kind of use the motion remote as a bad substitute for a touch screen (like angry birds)

if they could get some of the smaller old indy wii games that were built for that kind of remote, it could be very good. or if they would just open a handle to the control up to BS, that would be even better.

I don't expect either of those will happen, and the game remote, as it is now, really has no reason to exist and will soon be removed from future models (imo of course).
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Does game remote have a gyro?

Roku* - any info on whether there is a gyro* inside the "game enhanced" remotes - and is it accessible?

Also, is there any difference between BT and WiFi Direct remotes - as far as motion programming is concerned?

PS. (*) i meant gyroscope, not the Greek sandwich or gyrocopter
0 Kudos