Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Documentation semantic question

I'm looking into array sorting of Associative Arrays and when I arrived at this page https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifArraySort
I became concerned that it says it's implemented by roArray but not by roAssociativeArray.
But it actually does have the function for sorting AAs - should the page be updated to say that this is also implemented by roAssociativeArray?
thanks in advance.
aspiring
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Documentation semantic question

"joetesta" wrote:
I'm looking into array sorting of Associative Arrays and when I arrived at this page https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifArraySort
I became concerned that it says it's implemented by roArray but not by roAssociativeArray.
But it actually does have the function for sorting AAs - should the page be updated to say that this is also implemented by roAssociativeArray?
thanks in advance.

Arrays are sortable, associative arrays are not.
You can sort an array *of* associative arrays, but you are modifying the array itself, i.e. the order of items, and not modifying the array item values themselves.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

When people speak - informally - about "sorting of dictionaries (assoc.arrays)", in my experience we tend to mean accessing/enumerating the dictionary in particular order - either by order of keys or order of values. 

Now, roAA have .keys() method that returns array of the keys, pre-sorted.
OTOH, there is no .values() method...

PS. I thought i'll illustrate,
'for keys'
for each key in myAA.keys(): 'already sorted, haha!'
   do_the_due(key, myAA[key])
next

'for values - invert the dictionary'
inv_aa = {}
for each key in myAA:
   val = myAA[key]
   bucket = inv_aa[val]: if bucket=invalid then bucket = []: inv_aa[val] = bucket
   bucket.push(key)
next
for each vals in inv_aa:
   for each val in vals:
       do_the_due(vals[val], val)
   next
next
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

You're right, I was hoping to sort on the keys and twisting my brain trying to figure out how to change my Associative Array so that the keys became sortable fields.
Ha - thanks again, yesterday I found the `.keys()` solution you'd posted earlier EnTerr, you are the best!!
-Joe
aspiring
0 Kudos