Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Do you obfuscate your code - and what's Roku Inc's stance?

My question is to developers that have channels published -
do you obfuscate your channel code, as in making it cryptic (by say running it through utility to rename all variables and functions and pack up the code)? And what is the opinion of Roku Inc on such practice?

It seems obvious to me that a packaged channel still contains the BrightScript source intact inside, so it can be run on the players - but that also makes it accessible for direct review by Roku Inc (as well to any third party that can breach the bundle encryption). This is in contrast with development for iOS and Android, where code get compiled to ARM binary or p-code (and thus less susceptible to analysis).

I think the vague talk about magic encryption that keeps developers secrets safe is just a veil over the reality that any sensitive information (like private keys and passwords inside the code) is in plain view to Roku Inc (and possibly third party). As developers are you bothered by it?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Do you obfuscate your code - and what's Roku Inc's stanc

We don't care if you obfuscate your code.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Do you obfuscate your code - and what's Roku Inc's stanc

I would also point out that compilation to binary or p-code is not a very effective obfuscation. There are tools to disassemble such binaries. While disassembled code is not as easy to read as the original source, it's not smart to depend on compilation to hide any valuable secrets.

--Mark
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.