Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bandal
Visitor

Re: Dish Network doesn't have all international Channel

rokuRyan straightened me out on the chat session as my channel is Private and another e-mail from rokuPatrick before, thought I was talking about my foreign channel being in the channel store soon. Whew...
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Silly press release 🙂
"approximately 14.071 million"
If you're using decimals in approximations, why not list the current exact subscriber count? Does the .071 really add much significance when talking about millions?
0 Kudos
learner
Channel Surfer

Even i had same question like david. I asked what about the languages and channels not supplied byt Dish? They didnt finalize the site and the channesl and there are lot of content and languages they might not publish.
So it is like stopping competition and giving one player all access.So only one cost.. WHat ever dish decides right? and if they dont provide some content the users dont have any options? If they are not happy with dish or if they feel it is expensive,they have to move away from Roku right?
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

Dish just e-mailed me today and said they will speak with me June 27th. Let's see what happens. But I have a Private channel and if they want a Public channel they can go through me with a carriage agreement.
0 Kudos
victorthomas
Visitor

Wow! Yupp TV quickly started providing services on Sony Streaming Player and their comparison of the two comparable players (Roku HD and Sony Player) is spectacular.

YouTube availability on Roku: NO - Sony: YES
1080p HD resolution on Roku NO - Sony: YES
USB Port on Roku: NO - Sony: YES
Ethernet Port on Roku: NO - Sony: YES
DLNA Compliant on Roku: NO - Sony: YES
Xvid & mkv files on Roku: NO - Sony: Yes

http://www.yupptv.com/sonyplayerfreePackages.aspx (especially their email is awesome!)

As much as a developer, I LOVE Roku. There is no doubt about it in my mind... It is one of the greatest product in this vertical to ever hit the stores but for foreign language content, it is a story yet to be manifested.

I am so excited to see what's ahead and I am sure all of the EXISTING Indian distributors/service providers are looking at other possibilities because of the heavy promotion of Dish on Roku. If you see the list of channels and networks availability, you will see Dish is now on the FEATURED category (http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store) and it is listed on the VERY TOP of the International channels (http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#12).

Dish will have huge promotional offers - this, that and the other... Of course, that would make it super-difficult for existing providers. I am very interested in seeing what the EXISTING providers do. I really believe that the foreign content providers HEAVILY promoted Roku as an ideal and reliable platform and I am very interested to see what Roku does for them in return.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Doe a developer, you don't know much about roku's product lines.
1080p HD resolution on Roku NO - Sony: YES - yes, roku does 1080p video and upsamples menus to 1080p
USB Port on Roku: NO - Sony: YES - yes, my roku's all have USB
Ethernet Port on Roku: NO - Sony: YES - yes, my rokus all have ethernet

Buying the correct model handles most of your issues. I suppose as a research of marketing type project, it would be interesting to see just how much people are willing to pay for content - $360/year, maybe make a $25,000 per year package offer with 40 channels instead of 20 for the super deluxe I'm a sucker plan? 🙂
0 Kudos
victorthomas
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
Doe a developer, you don't know much about roku's product lines.
1080p HD resolution on Roku NO - Sony: YES - yes, roku does 1080p video and upsamples menus to 1080p
USB Port on Roku: NO - Sony: YES - yes, my roku's all have USB
Ethernet Port on Roku: NO - Sony: YES - yes, my rokus all have ethernet

Buying the correct model handles most of your issues. I suppose as a research of marketing type project, it would be interesting to see just how much people are willing to pay for content - $360/year, maybe make a $25,000 per year package offer with 40 channels instead of 20 for the super deluxe I'm a sucker plan? 🙂

Thanks for saying that I do NOT know much about Roku's product lines... But I am really sorry to say that you did not read my post properly. First of all, that is not what I said, but what an email from Yupp TV said. Secondly, I am qualified my statements as: "COMPARABLE" players based on features and price point. I am so sorry that you jump into conclusions without reading things properly, Sir!

"Your" Rokus may play 1080p but that does NOT mean that all Roku (Roku LT and Roku HD) can play 1080p. Please check http://shop.roku.com/

"Your" Rokus may have USB port on it but please check the last row of features in this page http://shop.roku.com/ and you will see that only the XS has the type of USB I was referring to.

"Your" Rokus may have ethernet port on it but please check the last row of features in this page http://shop.roku.com/ and you will see that only the XS has the type of ethernet I was referring to.

By the way, in my post, I was NOT talking about YOUR Roku... Really sorry!

You might be a spectacular developer and I really do NOT judge people but you just did not read or comprehend my post properly.

But regardless, thanks for judgement on my knowledge level.

Blessings to you!!!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Hi Everyone,

In May, Roku and DISH announced a partnership to bring the DISHWorld service to Roku streaming players in North America. DISH is the leader in delivering international programming to the TV and Roku sees DISHWorld as a key part of our international content strategy. Moving forward, we will look exclusively to DISHWorld to manage and expand our international content offering in North America. Content owners who wish to make their content available on Roku in the U.S. or Canada may be able to do so by distributing it through the DISHWorld service. Please contact DISHWorld at ottpartner@dish.com for more information. If you have any questions, please contact Roku at partners@roku.com.

To address some of the specific issues brought up in this thread, the exclusivity applies to both public and private channels within North America. All international or foreign language channels, public or private will require written approval before proceeding. Doing so without the required approval is in violation of the developer agreement and we may have to take action. Further, while DISHWorld may not have all content or languages available today, they are very interested in speaking with content owners (from anywhere, in any language) about adding additional content to the service and are set up to do so. Please contact ottpartner@dish.com to discuss; calling their end user support phone line will not result in the correct discussion.

I've created a new thread for civil discussion of this topic: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=50512

Thanks,

Patrick
0 Kudos